Chromosomal Studies in Malignant Gliomas
- 36 Downloads
Karyotypic evaluation of lymphomas, leukemias and solid tumors has demonstrated that specific chromosomal abnormalities characterize many of these processes (1). There are now several examples of tumor types in which the chromosomes involved in specific translocations have pointed the way to genes which are important in the evolution of these neoplasms. For example, the 9; 22 translocation of chronic granulocytic leukemia places c-abl in proximity to a breakpoint cluster region on 22q. (2). The protein coded by the rearranged sequence resembles the product of the transforming viral sequence, v-abl. (2). Similary, the 8; 14, 2; 8, and 8; 22 translocations of Burkitt’s lymphoma move the c-myc gene to location near the genes which code for the light and heavy immunoglobulin chains (3).
Key wordsChromosomes Karyotypes Gliomas Brain tumors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Bigner (S.H.), Mark (J.), Mahaley (M.S.), Jr., Bullard (D.E.), Mulhbair (L.J.) and Bigner (D.D.): Specific Chromosomal Abnormalities Characterize Malignant Human Gliomas. Submitted (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.Libermann (T.A.), Nusbaum (H.R.), Razon (W.), Kris (R.), Lax (I.), Soreq (H.), Whittle (N.), Waterfield (M.D.), Ullrich (A.) and Schlessinger (J.): Amplification Enhanced Expression, and Possible Rearrangement of the EGF Receptor Gene in Primary Human Brain Tumours of Glial Origin. Nature 313: 144–147 (1985).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wong (A.J.), Bigner (S.H.), Bigner (D.D.), Kenzler (K.W.), Hamilton (S.R.) and Vogelstein (B.): Increased Expression of the EGF Receptor Gene in Malignant Gliomas is Invariably Associated With Gene Amplification. Submitted (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.Yang-Feng (T.L.), Schechter (A.L.), Weinberg (R.A.) and Franke (U.): Oncogene from rat neuro/glioblastomas (human gene symbol NGL is located on the proximal long arm of human chromosome 17 and EGFR is confirmed at 7p13-q11.2. Cytogenet Cell Genet 40: 784 (1985).Google Scholar
- 15.Bigner (S.H.), Wong (A.J.), Mark (J.), Muhlbaier (L.H.), Klnzler (K.W.), Vogelstein (B.) and Bigner (D.D.): Relationship Between Gene Amplification and Chromosomal Deviations in Malignant Human Gliomas. Submitted (1986).Google Scholar
- 16.Bell (C.), Harsh (I.V.), (G.), Rosenblum (M.), Meltzer (P.) and Trent (J.): Numeric and Structural Alterations of Chromosome 7 in Human Brain Tumors: Correlation With Expression of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR). Proc. AACR 27: 37 (1986).Google Scholar