Near-Infrared Observations of Distant Cluster Ellipticals
Visual-to-infrared colors of 56 red-selected, first ranked, cluster ellipticals out to a redshift of 0.92 are discussed. Color versus redshift diagrams display substantial scatter at all redshifts blueward from a well-defined ridge line that is a good match to the energy distribution of an old gE galaxy. Beyond z = 0.6 there are few red galaxies. Selection effects that operate even in this sample are evaluated via simple combinations of star bursts plus an old galaxy. The “first-ranked” object is not necessarily relevant for a determination of q o in the Hubble diagram. An age test based on the reddest galaxies at high redshift looks promising.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruzual, G. 1986, in Spectral Evolution of Galaxies ,ed. C. Chiosi and A. Renzini (Dordrecht:Reidel), p. 263.Google Scholar
- Frogel, J. A., and Whitford, A. E. 1987, Ap.J. ,in press.Google Scholar
- Frogel, J. A. 1988, this volume.Google Scholar
- Grasdalen, G. L. 1980, in IAU Symposium No. 92, Objects of High Redshift ,ed. G. O. Abell and P. J. E. Peebles, (Dordrecht:Reidel), p. 269.Google Scholar
- Gunn, J. E. 1988, this volume.Google Scholar
- O’Connell, R. W. 1988, this volume.Google Scholar
- Renzini, A. 1981, Ann.Phys. ,6, 87.Google Scholar
- Renzini, A. and Buzzoni, A. 1986, in Spectral Evolution of Galaxies ,ed. C. Chiosi and A. Renzini (Dordrecht:Reidel).Google Scholar
- Spinrad, H., and Djorgovski, S. 1987, in IAU Symposium No. 124, Observational Cosmology ,ed. G. Burbridge (Dordrecht:Reidel).Google Scholar
- Windhorst, R. A., Koo, D. C., and Spinrad, H. 1986, in Galaxy Distances and Deviations from Universal Expansion, ed. B. F. Madore and R. B. Tully (Dordrecht:Reidel), p. 197.Google Scholar