Optical and Infrared Studies of Stellar Populations: The Galactic Nuclear Bulge
Giants in the Galactic nuclear bulge are different from solar neighborhood giants in terms of their observed photometric and spectroscopic characteristics and their mean metallicity. These bulge stars are the best available sample to use in stellar synthesis models of early-type galaxies. Observations from the main sequence to the top of the giant branch show no evidence for a component of the bulge population much younger than 10 Gyr. Several independent lines of evidence indicate a strong metallicity gradient in the bulge as would be expected if it formed dissipatively.
KeywordsGlobular Cluster Stellar Population Luminosity Function Elliptical Galaxy Initial Mass Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baade, W. 1963, in Evolution of Stars and Galaxies ,ed. C. P. Gaposhkin (Cambridge: Harvard University Press), p. 279.Google Scholar
- Cook, K. H. 1987, Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Arizona.Google Scholar
- Frogel, J. A., Blanco, V. M., and Whitford, A. E. 1984, in IAU Symposium 105, Observational Tests of Stellar Evolution Theory ,ed. A. Maeder and A. Renzini (Dordrecht: Reidel), p. 571.Google Scholar
- Frogel, J. A., Persson, S. E., Aaronson, M., and Matthews, Ap. J. ,89, 636.Google Scholar
- Frogel, J. A., and Whitford, A. E. 1987, Ap. J. ,in press.Google Scholar
- Mould, J. R. 1986, in in Stellar Populations ,ed. C. A. Norman, A. Renzini, and M. Tosi (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press), p. 9.Google Scholar
- Renzini, A., and Buzzoni, A. 1986, in Stellar Populations ,ed. C. A. Norman, A. Renzini, and M. Tosi (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press), p. 213.Google Scholar
- Rich, R. M. 1986, Ph.D. thesis, Caltech.Google Scholar
- Searle, L. 1986, in Stellar Populations ,ed. C. A. Norman, A. Renzini, and M. Tosi (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press), p. 3.Google Scholar
- Terndrup, D. M. 1986, Ph.D. thesis, University of Calif., Santa Cruz.Google Scholar
- . 1985, Pub. A.S.P. ,97, 205.Google Scholar
- . 1986, in Spectral Evolution of Galaxies ,ed. C. Chiosi and A. Renzini (Dordrecht: Reidel), p. 157.Google Scholar