Mechanical Breakdown of Single Fibres and Microcomposites
Recent results on the fracture behaviour of advanced fibers and model composite materials (microcomposites) are presented. The fiber data utilized are strength results for polydiacetylene whiskers and Kevlar 149 fibres. The probabilistic approach adopted for the effect of fibre diameter on strength is shown to be at least as appropriate as well-known empirical and LEFM-based schemes. A modified Poisson/Weibull scheme deals with a currently unsolved problem inherent to the classical Weibull distribution function, used as a Model for strength. Preliminary experimental results with model microcomposites (which consist of single fibers carefully placed within a matrix film using specially developed positioning techniques) are reviewed and, in particular, the usefulness of video/microphotographic techniques in the study of failure dynamics and fracture modes in composites is emphasized.
KeywordsSingle Fibre Fibre Strength Crystal Fibre Failure Dynamic Preliminary Experimental Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Phoenix, S. L., Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Third Conference), ASTM STP 546, 1974, pp. 130–151.Google Scholar
- 4.Kao, J. H. K., Computer Methods for Estimating Weibull Parameters in Reliability Studies, I. R. E. Trans, on Reliability and Quality Control, PGRQC No. 13, 1958, p. 15.Google Scholar
- 6.Hertzberg, R. W., Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1976.Google Scholar
- 7.Weibull, W., J. Appl. Mech. 73 1951, 293.Google Scholar
- 8.Mann, N. R., Schafer, R. E., Singpurwalla, N. D., Methods for Statistical Analysis of Reliability and Life Data, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1974, Chapter 9.Google Scholar
- 12.Wagner, H. D., in Application of Fracture Mechanics to Composite Materials (R. B. Pipes, K. Friedrich, Eds.), Elsevier Sc. Publ. B. V., 1988 (to appear).Google Scholar
- 13.Wagner, H. D., Submitted, 1987.Google Scholar
- 15.Wagner, H. D., Submitted, 1988.Google Scholar
- 16.Steenbakkers, L. W., Wagner, H. D., Submitted, 1988.Google Scholar