Pattern Formation during CW Laser Melting of Silicon
We summarize our recent experimental and theoretical work on the molten-solid morphologies which form during irradiation of thin Si films by a cw, ⋋ = 10.6µm laser. We have observed a variety of ordered and disordered patterns which depend on laser intensity, spot size, polarization and angle of incidence.
KeywordsSpot Size Pattern Formation Laser Intensity Solid Region Grating Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Careri, Order and Disorder in Matter, Benjamin/Cummings(New York), (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.Pattern Formation by Dynamic Systems and Pattern Recognition, Ed. H. Haken, Springer Verlag (New York), 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.J.F. Young, J.E. Sipe and H.M. van Driel, Phys. Rev. B, 30, 2001 (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.J.S.Preston, H.M. van Driel, and J.E. Sipe, accepted Phys. Rev. B ( 1989 ), J.S. Preston, J.E. Sipe, H.M. van Driel, and J. Luscombe, accepted Phys. Rev. B (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.K. Dworschak, J.E. Sipe and H.M. van Driel (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 12.P. Anderson in Order and Fluctuations in Equilibrium and Non-equilibrium Statistical Mechanics, Nicolis, Dewel, Turner Eds. ( Wiley, New York, 1981 ) p. 289.Google Scholar