Nonlinearity and Selforganization in Plasticity and Fracture
Even though there is strong evidence of multiplicity, nonlinearity and selforganization in plasticity, there is not a general consensus or systematic effort to utilize recent methods of nonlinear physics for understanding bifurcation and pattering of deformation phenomena. An approach recently advocated by the author and his co-workers is briefly outlined here. Emphasis is put on illustrating the origin of plastic instabilities at various levels of observation. Details are given on the problem of the persistent slip bands noted, for example, during cyclic deformation of Cu-monocrystals, and of the Portevin-Le Chatelier bands noted, for example, during monotonic deformation of Al-5% Mg polycrystals. Finally, the problem of viscoelastic peeling is outlined in the appendix and its relation to fracture is pointed out.
KeywordsShear Band Peel Test Persistent Slip Band Uniform Steady State Monotonic Deformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aifantis, E.C. (1983). Dislocation kinetics and the formation of deformation bands, Defects, Fracture and Fatigue, (G.C. Sih and J.W. Provan, eds.), pp. 75-84, Martinus-Nijhoff.Google Scholar
- Aifantis, E.C. (1984b). On the mechanics of modulated structures, Modulated Structure Materials, (T. Tsakalakos, ed.), pp. 357-385, Martinus-Nijhoff.Google Scholar
- Aifantis, E.C. (1985). Continuum models for dislocated states and media with microstructures. Mechanics of Dislocations, (E.C. Aifantis and J.P. Hirth, eds.), pp. 127-146, Metals Park.Google Scholar
- Aifantis, E.C. (1986a). Mechanics of microstructures I, II, III. Mechanical Properties and Behaviour of Solids: Plastic Instabilities, (V. Balakrishnan and C.E. Bottani, eds.), pp. 314 - 353, World Scientific, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Walgraef, D. and E.C. Aifantis (1986). Dislocation patterning in fatigued metals: Labyrinth structures and rotational effects. Int. J. Eng. Sci., pp. 1789 - 1798.Google Scholar
- Walgraef, D. and E.C. Aifantis (1988). Plastic instabilities, dislocation patterns and nonequilibrium phenomena. Res Mechanica, 23, 161 - 195.Google Scholar
- Zbib, H.M. and E.C. Aifantis (1988a). On the localization and postlocalization behaviour of plastic deformation - I: On the initiation of shear bands; II: On the evolution and thickness of shear bands; III: On the structure and velocity of the Portevin-Le Chatelier Bands. Res Mechanica, 23, 261-277; 279-292; 293 - 305.Google Scholar
- Aifantis, E.C. (1987). The physics of plastic deformation. Int. J. Plasticity, 3, 211-247.Google Scholar
- Estrin, Y. and L.P. Kubin (1988). Plastic instabilities: Classification and physical mechanisms. Res Mechanica, 23, 197-221. [In: Material Instabilities, Special Issue of Res Mechanica, Vol. 23, E.C. Aifantis et al., eds.].Google Scholar