Life history characteristics of Brachionus plicatilis (rotifera) fed different algae
- 139 Downloads
A detailed study of the life history of the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis was done at 20 °C, 20 ppt salinity, and 90 mg Cl-1 food concentration. Rotifers were grown individually in culture plate wells (150 µl culture volume) and fed Isochrysis galbana Tahiti, Tetraselmis sp., Nannochloris atomus, or a 1:1 mixture (weight) of two of the algae. Observations were made every 2–8 hr and rotifers were sized and transferred to new food daily. A total of 19 different parameters were compared. Rotifers fed Isochrysis averaged 21 offspring per female, a 6.7 day reproductive period, a lifespan of 10.5 days and a mean length of 234 µm. After Isochrysis, the foods giving the highest growth, survival, and reproduction in decreasing order were Isochrysis + Nannochloris, Nannochloris, Isochrysis + Tetraselmis, Tetraselmis + Nannochloris, and Tetraselmis. Although the small volume culture system used in this study seems appropriate for studying life history of B. plicatilis, the results cannot always be directly applied to larger cultures.
Key wordsBrachionus plicatilis Rotifera life history food
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fukusho, K., M. Okauchi, H. Tanaka, S. I. Wahyuni, P. Kraisingdecha & T. Watanabe, 1985. Food value of a rotifer Brachionus plicatilis, cultured with Tetraselmis tetrathele for larvae of a flounder Paralichthys olivaceus. Bull. Natl. Res. Inst. Aquaculture 7: 29–36.Google Scholar
- Guillard, R. R. L., 1975. Culture of phytoplankton for feeding marine invertebrates. In Smith, W. L. & Chanley, M. H. (eds) Culture of Marine Invertebrate Animals. Plenum Press, New York: 29–60.Google Scholar
- Hirayama, K. & K. Watanabe, 1973. Fundamental studies on physiology of rotifer for its mass culture. IV. Nutritional effect of yeast on population growth of rotifer. Bull. Japan. Soc. Sci. Fish. 39: 1129–1133.Google Scholar
- Korstad, J., O. Vadstein & Y. Olsen, 1989. Feeding kinetics of Brachionus plicatilis fed Isochrysis galbana. Hydrobiologia, this volume.Google Scholar
- Lubzens, E., 1989. Rotifers as food in aquaculture. Hydrobiologia, this volume.Google Scholar
- Okauchi, M. & K. Fukusho, 1984. Food value of a minute alga, Tetraselmis tetrathele, for the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis culture. I. Population growth with batch culture. Bull. Natl. Res. Inst. Aquaculture 5: 13–18.Google Scholar
- Ruttner-Kolisko, A., 1972. The metabolism of Brachionus plicatilis (Rotatoria) as related to temperature and chemical environment. Dt. Zool. Ges. 65: 89–95.Google Scholar
- Yufera, M. & E. Pascual, 1980. Estudio del rendimiento de cultivos del rotifero Brachionus plicatilis O. F. Muller alimentados con levadura de panificación. Inves. Pesq. 44: 361–368.Google Scholar