Temporal analysis of clonal structure in a moss bdelloid population
Clonal structure of a population of Macrotrachela quadricornifera (Rotifera, Bdelloidea) from a terrestrial moss in Northern Italy, was investigated over a 16 month period. Every month, 40–60 specimens of M. quadricornifera were collected from about 0.1 m2 of moss. The individual animals were homogenized and their isozyme phenotypes analyzed by electrophoresis on vertical polyacrylamide gel. One enzyme, phosphoglucose isomerase (PGI), was used as a marker to distinguish the different clones present in the sample. A few clones were established from the rotifers sampled and patterns of esterases α and β, and malic enzyme were studied. Nine electrophoretic patterns for PGI were seen. One was dominant, a second was almost always present, but in lesser amounts. The remainder were present occasionally.
There seemed to be no seasonal replacement of the clones and the composition of the population appeared to be unaffected by variations in temperature. Relative humidity seemed to be the more important factor in regulating the number of electromorphs of the rotifer population.
Key wordsElectrophoresis Isozymes moss population bdelloid rotifers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartos, E., 1951. The Czechoslovak Rotatoria of the Order Bdelloidea. Vestnik Cs. Zool. spol. 15: 241–500.Google Scholar
- Dobers, E., 1915. Uber die Biologie der Bdelloidea. Int. Revue ges. Hydrobiol. Hydrol. Suppl. zu Bd. 7: 1–128.Google Scholar
- Donner, J., 1965. Ordnung Bdelloidea. Akademie Verlag. 297 pp.Google Scholar
- Harris, H. & D. A. Hopkinson, 1976. Handbook of enzyme electrophoresis in human genetics. North-Holland, Amsterdam, Neth.Google Scholar
- Hebert, P. D. N. & T. J. Crease, 1980. Clonal coexistence inDaphnia pulex (Leydig): another planktonic paradox. Science 207: 1363–1365.Google Scholar
- King, C. E., 1977. Genetics of reproduction, variation, and adaptation in rotifers. Arch. Hydrobiol. Ergeb. Limnol. 8: 187–201.Google Scholar
- King, C. E., 1980. The genetic structure of zooplankton populations, p. 315–328. In: W. C. Kerfoot (ed.), Evolution and ecology of zooplankton communities. Univ. Press New England, Hanover.Google Scholar
- Parker, E. D., Jr., 1979. Ecological implications of clonal diversity in parthenogenetic morphospecies. Am. Zool. 19: 753–762.Google Scholar
- Rossi, V. & Menozzi P. The clonal ecology of Heterocypris incongruens (Crustacea: Ostracoda). Ecology, in press.Google Scholar
- Snell, T. W., 1977. Clonal selection: competition among clones. Arch. Hydrobiol. Ergeb. Limnol. 8: 202–204.Google Scholar
- Young, J. P. W., 1979. Enzyme polymorphism and cyclic parthenogenesis in Daphnia magna. I. Selection and clonalGoogle Scholar