Wave Propagation Through Randomly Disordered Near-Periodic Structures
Various aspects of the statistics of wave transmission through a disordered one- dimensional waveguide are considered. An expression is derived for the statistical moments of the resistance of an N-1 bay disordered system, and it is shown that the natural logarithm of the resistance is Gaussian for large N. It is then shown that a weakly disordered system obeys one-parameter scaling, and a simple expression is derived for the localization factor produced by weak disorder. The present work extends results which have appeared recently in the solid state physics literature to the case of structural dynamic systems.
KeywordsTransfer Matrix Transmission Coefficient Statistical Moment Pass Band Stop Band
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Castanier, M.P., and Pierre, C.: Individual and interactive mechanisms for localization and dissipation in a mono-coupled near-periodic structure, Journal of Sound and Vibration 168 (1994), 479–505.Google Scholar
- 5.Cai, C.Q., and Lin, Y.K.: Statistical distribution of frequency response in disordered periodic structures, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal 30 (1992), 1400–1407.Google Scholar
- 9.Bendiksen, O.O.: Mode localization phenomena in large space structures, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal 25 (1987), 1241–1248.Google Scholar
- 17.Lin, Y.K.: Probabilistic Theory of Structural Dynamics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- 20.Langley, R.S.: The statistics of wave transmission through disordered one-dimensional waveguides, accepted for publication in Journal of Sound and Vibration (1996)Google Scholar