Higher-order constrained systems on fibered manifolds: An exterior differential systems approach
Some recent results on higher-order Lagrangean systems are presented. The concept of higher-order Lagrangean system as a Lepagean two-form defined on a certain jet prolongation of a fibered manifold over a one-dimensional base is recalled. The dynamics then can be defined by a distribution (the Euler-Lagrange distribution) which generally is of non-constant rank. This approach leads to a natural geometric definition of regularity and a geometric classification of constrained systems. Since a Lagrangean system is understood as a class of equivalent Lagrangians (which can be of different orders), the theory, including a Hamilton formulation, is independent on the choice of a particular Lagrangian for the Lagrangean system under consideration. Relations to the symplectic, presymplectic, cosymplectic and precosymplectic geometry are discussed.
KeywordsLagrangean system Lepagean two-form Euler-Lagrange equations Hamilton equations time-dependent Lagrangian regularity singular Lagrangian constrained system the constrained algorithm.
MS classification58F05 70H05 70H35
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.D. Krupka, Some geometric aspects of variational problems in fibered manifolds, Folia Fac. Sci. Nat. UJEP Brunensis 14 (1973) 1–65.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Krupka, Lepagean forms in higher order variational theory, in: Modern Developments in Analytical Mechanics I: Geometrical Dynamics, Proc. IUTAM-ISIMM Symposium, Torino, Italy 1982, S. Benenti, M. Francaviglia and A Lichnerowicz eds. (Accad. delle Scienze di Torino, Torino, 1983) 197-238.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Krupka, Geometry of Lagrangean structures 2, 3, Arch. Math. (Brno) 22 (1986), 211-228; Proc. 14th Winter School on Abstract Analysis, Jan. 1986, Srní (Czechoslovakia), Suppl. ai rend, del Circ. Mat. di Palermo 14 (1987) 178-224.Google Scholar
- 12.O. Krupková, Variational analysis on fibered manifolds over one-dimensional bases, PhD Thesis, Dept. of Math., Silesian University, Opava (Czechoslovakia), March 1992, 67 pp.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Libermann and Ch.-M. Marle, Symplectic Geometry and Analytical Mechanics, Mathematics and Its Applications, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, 1987.Google Scholar
- 20.M. de León and J. C. Marrero, Degenerate time-dependent Lagrangians of second order: the fourth order differential equation problem, in: Proc. of the 5th International Conference on Differential Geometry and Its Applications, August 1992, Opava (Czechoslovakia), O. Kowalski and D. Krupka, eds. (Silesian Univ. at Opava, Czech Republic, 1993), 497-508.Google Scholar