The Maximum-Entropy Method in Small-Angle Scattering
- 285 Downloads
The Maximum-Entropy method is applied to the determination of the distance distribution function in small-angle scattering. Alternative methods for this purpose suffer from problems caused by their ad hoc nature, but the Maximum-Entropy method has a well established theoretical foundation offering several advantages. Examples are given using simulated as well as experimental data. It is demonstrated that the “best” (most likely) choice of parameters as e.g. the noise level, the model or the regularisation method in general can be found from the evidence in a Bayesian framework.
KeywordsMaximum Entropy Bayesian Method Smoothness Constraint Scatter Length Density Maxent Estimate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hansen, S. & Wilkins, S. W.: 1994, ‘On uncertainty in maximum-entropy maps and the generalization of ’classic MaxEnt”, Acta CrystA50, 547–550.Google Scholar
- Glatter, O.: 1982, In Small Angle X-ray Scattering, edited by O. Glatter and O. Kratky. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Gull, S.F.: 1989, ‘Developments in Maximum Entropy Data Analysis’, in Maximum-Entropy and Bayesian Methods, edited by J. Skilling, pp. 53–71. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- MacKay, D.J.C.: 1992, ’Bayesian Interpolation’, in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods, Seattle 1991, edited by C.R.Smith et al, pp. 39–66. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Skiling, J.: 1988, ‘ The Axioms of Maximum Entropy’Maximum-Entropy and Bayesian Method in Science and Engineering (Vol 1), edited by G.J. Erickson and C. Ray Smith, pp. 173–187. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Skilling, J.: 1988, ‘Classical Maximum Entropy’, in Maximum- Entropy and Bayesian Methods, edited by J. Skilling, pp. 42–52. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Svergun, D.I., Semenyuk, A.V & Feigin, L.A.: 1988,‘Small-Angle Scattering-Data Treatment Method’, Acta Cryst. A44, 244–250.Google Scholar
- Tikhonov, A.N. & Arsenin, V.Ya.: 1977, in Solution of Il-Posed Problems, New York: Wiley.Google Scholar