Kinematic Design of Two Elementary 3DOF Parallel Manipulators with Configurable Platforms
Parallel Manipulators with Configurable Platforms (PMCPs) have platforms with internal degrees of freedom and form a class of manipulators that is not covered by existing type synthesis methods. Because the minimum number of legs for a PMCP is three, fully parallel 3DOF PMCPs may be considered an elementary subset of PMCPs. To support the extension of type synthesis methods to PMCPs, this paper presents the first kinematic designs of manipulators from this subset. A structured design method has led to the kinematic design of two spatial manipulators that are both capable of independently performing one translation, one rotation and one internal platform motion.
KeywordsParallel mechanisms Configurable platform 3DOF Grasping motion Spatial
This research was financially supported by the Dutch Technology Foundation STW (project number 12158).
- 2.Gogu, G.: Structural Synthesis of Parallel Robots, Part 1: Methodology. Springer, Dordrecht (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Kong, X., Gosselin, C.: Type Synthesis of Parallel Mechanisms. Springer, Berlin (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Lambert, P., Herder, J.L.: Mobility analysis of non series-parallel mechanisms. In: Viadero, F., Ceccarelli, M. (eds.) New Trends in Mechanism and Machine Science, Mechanisms and Machine Science, vol. 7, pp. 63–71. Springer, Dordrecht (2013). doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-4902-3
- 6.Lambert, P., Langen, H., Munnig Schmidt, R.: A novel 5 DOF fully parallel robot combining 3T1R motion and grasping. In: ASME 34th Annual Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, Parts A and B, vol 2, pp. 1123–1130, (2010). doi: 10.1115/DETC2010-28676
- 7.Merlet, J.P.: Parallel robots, 2nd edn. Solid Mechanics and its Application. Springer, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Mohamed, M., Gosselin, C.: Design and analysis of kinematically redundant parallel manipulators with configurable platforms. IEEE Trans. Rob. |textbf21(3), 277–287 (2005). doi: 10.1109/TRO.2004.837234
- 9.Nabat, V., de la O Rodriguez, M., Company, O., Krut, S., Pierrot, F.: Par4: very high speed parallel robot for pick-and-place. In: 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 553–558. IEEE (2005). doi: 10.1109/IROS.2005.1545143