Solving the Forward Kinematics of Cable-Driven Parallel Robots with Neural Networks and Interval Arithmetic
This paper investigates a new approach for solving the forward kinematics of cable-driven parallel robots. This approach combines an interval algorithm with neural networks to provide a fast but accurate initial guess. The neural networks increase the computation speed by a factor of 200 or more, while the interval algorithm provides guaranteed convergence and a definite solution to any chosen degree of accuracy. Iterative techniques are faster still, but the proposed algorithm is considered real-time feasible.
KeywordsCable-driven robots Neural networks Interval analysis Kinematics
This work was partially supported by the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft Internal Programs under Grant No. WISA 823 244. Furthermore, the research leading to these results received founding for the European Community’s Seventh Framework Program under Grant agreement number NMP2-SL-2011-285404-CableBot.
- 1.Bergmeir, C., Benítez, J.M.: Neural networks in R using the Stuttgart neural network simulator: RSNNS. J. Stat. Softw. 46(7), 1–26 (2012). http://www.jstatsoft.org/v46/i07/
- 2.Berti, A., Merlet, J.P., Carricato, M.: Solving the direct geometrico-static problem of 3–3 cable-driven parallel robots by interval analysis: preliminary results. In: Bruckmann, T., Pott, A. (eds.) Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. vol. 12, pp. 251–268. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Carricato, M., Abbasnejad, G.: Direct geometrico-static analysis of under-constrained cable-driven parallel robots with 4 cables. In: Bruckmann, T., Pott, A. (eds.) Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. vol.12, pp. 269–285 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Goualard, F.: Fast and correct SIMD algorithms for interval arithmetic. In: Proceedings of PARA ’08, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, Trondheim (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Khalilpour, S., Loloei, A., Taghirad, H., Masouleh, M.: Feasible kinematic sensitivity in cable robots based on interval analysis. In: Bruckmann, T., Pott, A. (eds.) Cable-Driven Parallel Robots, vol. 12, pp. 233–249. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Pott, A.: An algorithm for real-time forward kinematics of cable-driven parallel robots. International symposium on advances in robot kinematics, Springer (2010)Google Scholar