Introduction to Virtual Reality
The introductory chapter begins with the basic definitions of virtual reality, virtual presence and related concepts. It provides an overview of the history of virtual reality, from its origins in the 1950s to the present day. It also covers some of the most important applications, from flight simulators to biomedical uses. Finally, it briefly describes the main feedback loops used in virtual reality and the human biological systems used to interpret and act on information from the virtual world.
KeywordsVirtual Reality Virtual Environment Augmented Reality Virtual World Sensory Feedback
- 1.Sherman WR, Craig AB (2003) Understanding virtual reality. Morgen Kaufman PublishersGoogle Scholar
- 2.Stanney K (2001) Handbook of virtual environments. Lawrence Earlbaum, IncGoogle Scholar
- 3.Waterworth JA, Waterworth EL (2003) The meaning of presence. Presence-Connect 3(2)Google Scholar
- 4.Sutherland IE (1965) The ultimate display. In: Proceedings of the IFIP congress, pp 506–508Google Scholar
- 7.Yu D, Jin JS, Luo S, Lai W, Huang Q (2010) Visual information communication, chap. A useful visualization technique: a literature review for augmented reality and its application, limitation and future direction, Springer, pp 311–337Google Scholar