Some Basic Statistical Measures
- 3.3k Downloads
This chapter introduces some basic statistical measures which are commonly used in demographic analysis. This starts with the estimation of proportions, percentages, rates and ratios. It progresses on to some measures of central tendency, such as various types of averages including the arithmetic, geometric and harmonic means. Particular properties and distinguishing features of the three types of means are examined. Other measures discussed include median and mode and how they are estimated and interpreted. Measures of dispersion such as the variance and standard deviation are also discussed, along with various measures of concentration including quartiles, quintiles, deciles and percentiles. Indexes of dissimilarity and relative difference are considered along with the Gini coefficient. Finally, the concepts of regression and correlation are introduced.
KeywordsIncome Group Multiple Regression Model Gini Coefficient Median Group Cumulative Frequency
- Anscombe, E. (1973). Graphs in statistical analysis. The American Statistician, 27, 17–22.Google Scholar
- Australia. (2010). 2009 births Australia. Catalogue no. 3301.0. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics. http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/10BEDC49AFCACC1FCA2577CF000DF7AB/$File/33010_2009.pdf. Accessed Feb 2013.
- Fox, J. (1991). Regression diagnostics (Quantitative applications in the social sciences, Vol. 79). Newbury Park: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Japan. (2011). e-Stat. Portal site of official statistics of Japan. 2000 population census, labour force status of population (Table 1). www.e-stat.go.jp/SG1/estat/ListE.do?bid=000000030097&cycode=0. Accessed Feb 2013.
- Massey, D. S., & Denton, N. (1988). The dimensions of racial segregation. Social Forces, 67(2), 281–315.Google Scholar
- Triola, M. F. (2007). Elementary statistics using excel (3rd ed.). Boston: Pearson Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- United Kingdom. (2008). Family spending, 2007 edition. Newport: Palgrave Macmillan. http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/family-spending/family-spending/2007-edition/index.html. Accessed Feb 2013.
- United Nations. (2009). Demographic yearbook, 2007. New York: Department of Economic and Social Affairs. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/dyb/dybsets/2007%20DYB.pdf. Accessed Feb 2013.
- United Nations. (2011). Demographic yearbook, 2009–2010. New York: Department of Economic and Social Affairs. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/dyb/dybsets/2009-2010.pdf. Accessed Feb 2013.