Case 6: Development of a Marketing Strategy for German Minority Association in Croatia
This case study analyses the marketing activities conducted by the German minority association in Croatia in order to overcome the problems identified by the association leadership.
In order to understand the situation, the whole environment of the nonprofit sector and position of national minorities in Croatia have been analysed. Most of the problems identified are of marketing nature and cause both internal problems like membership decrease and passivity and external problems of low recognition within the local community, decreasing financial support, etc.
The association leadership has recognised the need to implement marketing concept in their strategy. This approach has helped them to learn more about their membership, adjust programmes and activities and get better recognition in the external environment. By doing so, the quality of life of the minority members has been significantly improved.
KeywordsCivil Society Nonprofit Organization Marketing Strategy Nonprofit Sector Supervisory Board
The authors wish to thank the leadership and members of the German National Minority Association in Croatia for participation in this case study.
- Constitutional Law on National Minority Rights, Narodne novine 80/2010Google Scholar
- Institut Ivo Pilar (2007) Research of public opinion of non-profit organizations, ZagrebGoogle Scholar
- Kotler P, Andreasen A (1986) Strategic marketing for non profit organizations. Prentice Hall, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Leko Šimić M, Čarapić H (2009) Corporate social responsibility in Croatia: nonprofit activities for profitable goals. Proceedings from 8th international congress of the AIMPN: new approaches in public and nonprofit marketing research and practice, Valencia, SpainGoogle Scholar
- Matančević J, Bežovan G (2008) Civilno društvo u Hrvatskoj. Civil Society Forum, Pula. Presentations, www.civilnodrustvo-istra.hr. Accessed 15 Nov 2009
- Meler M (2003) Neprofitni marketing. Ekonomski fakultet u Osijeku, OsijekGoogle Scholar
- Minority Rights Group International, Bokulić S et al (2008) Zagovaranje manjinskih prava u EU: Vodič za NVO u jugoistočnoj Europi. Centar za mir, pravne savjete i psihološku pomoć, VukovarGoogle Scholar
- National Statistics Bureau of Croatia. Statistical Yearbook 2008. www.dzs.hr. Accessed 12 Dec 2009
- Pavičić J (2003) Strategija marketinga neprofitnih organizacija. Masmedija, ZagrebGoogle Scholar
- Scherer A, Straka M (1999) Kratka povijest podunavskih Nijemaca. PanLiber/Leopold Stocker Verlag, Osijek/Zagreb/Graz/StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Tatalović S (2010) Nacionalne manjine u Republici Hrvatskoj. Politička misao 37(3):95–105Google Scholar
- Trischler R (2009) Marketing udruga nacionalnih manjina u Republici Hrvatskoj. Master thesis paper, Ekonomski fakultet u Osijeku, OsijekGoogle Scholar