Case 12: How a Municipality Can Serve the Elderly Public: The Case of the Ages Space (ESPAÇO DAS IDADES)
Given the current economic and social context, there is a need to create projects that can contribute to the quality of life of the older population. The case study here presented evidences on how the public sector, and more specifically a municipality, can do this by creating and promoting a service, the Space Ages, that will satisfy the social needs of the citizens. This service promotes several initiatives connected to health, education and culture areas, contributing to the well-being, personal valorisation and social integration of the elderly people. To its success the involvement of the municipality, public in general and users was essential, as well as the communication strategy implemented.
KeywordsLife Satisfaction Leisure Activity Public Sector Organisation Community Satisfaction Ballroom Dance
To NECE – R&D Centre funded by the Multiannual Funding Programme of R&D Centres of FCT (Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology), Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education and to master students Allya Jussub, Filipa Rodrigues and Mafalda Carlota.
- Auh S, Cook C (2009) Quality of community life among rural residents: an integrated model. Soc Indic Res. doi:10.1007/s11205-008-9427-0Google Scholar
- Ball L (2005) The perceived value of internal communication within Local Government. http://www.cipr.co.uk/sites/default/files/PerceivedValue_laurenball1703.pdf. Accessed at 04 Jan 2012
- Chapman D, Cowdell T (1998) New public sector marketing. Prentice-Hall, Financial Times/Pitman, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kang YS, Ridgway NM (1996) The importance of consumer market interactions as a form of social support for elderly consumers. J Public Policy Mark 15(1):108–117Google Scholar
- Kotler P, Lee N (2006) Marketing in the public sector – a roadmap for improved performance. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, New JersyGoogle Scholar
- Martín Armario E (1993) Marketing. Ed. Ariel, BarcelonaGoogle Scholar
- Meiners NH, Seeberger B (2010) Marketing to senior citizens: challenges and opportunities. J Soc Political Econ Stud 35(3):293–316Google Scholar