Promoting Competency-Based Language Teaching Through Project-Based Language Learning
- 1.6k Downloads
This chapter provides a rationale for how project-based language learning (PBLL) can play a key role in language teaching and what this implies for teachers and learners. PBLL not only allows for a practical and meaningful approach to teaching and assessing language learning; it also promotes effective learning strategies and critical thinking skills. First, the main criteria for competences are examined along with links to the underlying premises of learning in PBLL. Next, the chapter delves into the question of communicative competences and explores ways of integrating the notion of competences and PBLL to design and implement language learning activities in different scenarios. An example of a multiple-pronged, bi-focal PBLL design illustrates how PBLL can be successfully implemented at all levels of education.
KeywordsLanguage Learner Target Language Language Teaching Communicative Competence Language Competency
- Arlington Education and Employment Program (AEEP/REEP). 1997. Project-based learning and assessment. A reesource manual for teachers. Arlington: Arlington Public Schools. Eric Document Reproduction Service No. ED442306.Google Scholar
- Beckett, G.H., and P. Chamness Miller (eds.). 2006. Project-based second and foreign language education. Past, present, and future. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing.Google Scholar
- Betts, M., and R. Smith. 1998. Developing the credit-based modular curriculum in higher education. Bristol: Falmer Press.Google Scholar
- Buck Institute for Education. 2003. Project based learning handbook. A guide to standards-focused project based learning for middle and high school teachers, 2nd ed. Hong Kong: QuinnEssentials Books & Printing, Inc.Google Scholar
- Bygate, M., P. Skehan, and M. Swain. 2001. Introduction. In Researching pedagogical tasks: Second language learning, teaching, and assessment, ed. M. Bygate, P. Skehan, and M. Swain, 1–20. London: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe. 2001. Common European framework of reference for languages: Learning, teaching and assessment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Dewey, J. 1916. Democracy and education. New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Dooly, M. (ed.). 2008. Telecollaborative language learning. A guidebook to moderating intercultural collaboration online. Bern: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Dooly, M., and D. Masats. 2010. Closing the loop between theory and praxis: New models in EFL teaching. ELT Journal 65(1): 42–51. ELT Journal Advance Access http://eltj.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/ccq017. 21 June 2010: To be published in paper version in 2011.Google Scholar
- Ellis, R. 2003. Task-based language learning and teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fleming, M. 2006. The use and mis-use of competence frameworks and statements with particular attention to describing achievement in literature. In Towards a common European framework of reference for languages of school education? selected conference papers, ed. W. Martyniuk, 47–59. Krakow: Jagiellonian University.Google Scholar
- Fried-Booth, D.L. 2002. Project work, 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Goodall, O. 2007. War and peace with young children. In The challenge of teaching controversial issues, ed. H. Claire and C. Holden, 27–39. Stoke-on-Trent: Trentham Books.Google Scholar
- Hymes, D., and J. Gumperz (eds.). 1964. The ethnography of communication, American Anthropologist, vol. 66(6), Part 2. Washington, DC: American Anthropological Association.Google Scholar
- Iwahama, R., and T. Asada. 2006. A model of school system to develop the school-based curriculum and support CPD using reflection and action research. Paper presented at the British Educational Research Association Annual Conference, 6–9 Sept, University of Warwick. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/159421.htm. Accessed 17 July 2010.
- Little, D., H.P. Hodel, V. Kohonen, D. Meijer, and R. Perclová. 2007. Preparing teachers to use the European language portfolio – Arguments, materials and resources. Graz: European Centre for Modern Languages/Council of Europe.Google Scholar
- Long, M.H. 1985. A role for instruction in second language acquisition: Task-based language teaching. In Modeling and assessing second language development, ed. K. Hyltenstam and M. Pienemann, 77–99. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.Google Scholar
- Lynch, R. 2003. Authentic, performance-based assessment in ESL/EFL reading instruction. Asian EFL Journal. The EFL Professional Written Forum, Dec. 1–28, 5(4): 7–35. http://www.asian-efl-journal.com/dec_03_sub.rl.php. Accessed 16 June 2010.
- Masats, D., L. Nussbaum, and V. Unamuno. 2007. When activity shapes the repertoire of second language learners. In EUROSLA yearbook 7, ed. L. Roberts, A. Gürel, S. Tatar, and L. Marti, 121–147. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.Google Scholar
- Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU). 2006. Recommendation of the European Parliament and of the council of 18 December 2006 on key competences for lifelong learning (2006/962/EC) 30 December 2006/L394. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_394/l_39420061230en00100018.pdf. Accessed 20 Aug 2010.
- Richards, J.C. 2005. Communicative language teaching today. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Richards, J.C., and T.S. Rodgers. 1986. Approaches and methods in language teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Seedhouse, P. 2004. The interactional architecture of the language classroom: A conversation analysis perspective. Malden: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Stoller, F.L. 2006. Establishing a theoretical foundation for project-based learning in second and foreign language contexts. In Project-based second and foreign language education. Past, present, and future, ed. G.H. Beckett and P. Chamness Miller, 19–40. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing.Google Scholar
- Tharpe, R.G., and R. Gallimore. 1988. Rousing minds to life: Teaching, learning and schooling in social context. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Tsiplakides, I., and I. Fragoulis. 2009. Project-based learning in the teaching of English as a foreign language in Greek primary schools: From theory to practice. English Language Teaching 2(3): 113–119. http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/elt/article/viewFile/2739/3286. Accessed 5 Apr 2010.
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. 2001. Defining and assessing learning: Exploring competency-based initiatives (authored by E. Jones, R.A., Voorhees, and K. Paulson for the Council of the National Postsecondary Education Cooperative Competency-Based Initiatives Working Group). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.Google Scholar
- Vygotsky, L. 1978. Mind in society. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar