Korean University Students’ Utilization of Social Networking Systems
In this paper, students of M university in Korea have been surveyed in an effort to verify the usage status of social networking systems. Based on survey data from 519 participants, preferred SNS sites, usage purpose, and pros and cons of SNS have been evaluated. We found the most preferred SNS site is Facebook, which had an 89.5% affirmative response for account possession and roughly a 69% positive response for primary patronage. The findings indicate that the most frequent reason for SNS usage is “Reading friends’ posts”. The most strongly perceived advantage of SNS is “Easy communication with friends”, while the biggest drawback of SNS is “Media exposure of personal information”.
KeywordsSocial networking systems Social network service Social networking sites SNS Utilization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kim, S.Y.: Trend and Prediction of Mobile SNS. Information and Communications Magazine 26(4), 19–25 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Socialbakers, http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/
- 4.Mullarkey, M.T.: Socially Immature Organizations: A Typology of Social Networking Systems [SNS] with Organizations as Users [OAU]. In: Proceedings of the ACM 2012 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work Companion, pp. 281–292 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Boyd, D.M.: Friendster and Publicly Articulated Social Networks. In: Conference on Human Factors and Computin System (CHI 2004), April 24-29. ACM, Vienna (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Wildbit, LLC: Social Networks Research Report (2005), http://www.wildbit.com/wildbit-sn-report.pdf
- 7.Jordan, K., Hauser, J., Foster, S.: The Augmented Social Network: Building identity and trust into the next-generation Internet. First Monday 8(8) (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Tahmincioglu, E.: Facebook Friends As Job References?, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26223330