Dielectric Properties and Applications of CVD Diamonds in the Millimeter and Terahertz Ranges
- 1.2k Downloads
The results of investigation of the dielectric properties in the millimeter and terahertz ranges of diamond samples prepared by using the direct current arc plasma jet (APJ) and the microwave plasma chemical vapour deposition (MPCVD) techniques are presented. Various methods for the measurements of the dielectric properties using high-Q open resonators and cylindrical cavity resonators are discussed while the activation energy of the conductivity and point defect parameters (such as concentration and activation energy of the defect induced levels) in both kinds of diamonds are studied via Conductivity and Charge-based Deep Level Transient Spectroscopy (Q-DLTS) measurements (for the first time in APJ diamond) and compared. The absorption mechanisms in these diamonds grown by different methods are discussed.
KeywordsDielectric Loss Loss Tangent Diamond Film Deep Level Transient Spectroscopy Terahertz Range
The work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project No. 11-02-91179) and the Chinese State Foundation for Natural Sciences (project No. 51010204).
- 2.Denisov GG, Litvak AG, Myasnikov VE, Tai EM, Ilin VI, Zapevalov VE, (2006) Megawatt-power gyrotrons for fusion. In: Litvak AG (ed) Proceedings of the 6th international workshop on strong microwaves in plasmas. Nizhny Novgorod, pp 62–75Google Scholar
- 4.Garin BM (1990) One-phonon dielectric losses by excitation of sound. Sov Phys Solid State 32:1917–1920Google Scholar
- 7.Garin BM, Parkhomenko MP, Parshin VV, Myasnikova SE, Heidinger R, Danilov I, Molla J, Ralchenko VG, Derkach VN, Tarapov SI (2003) Dielectric losses in CVD diamonds at frequencies 1 kHz–200 GHz and temperatures 70–800 K. In: Murakawa M, Miyoshi M, Koga Y, Shafer L, Tzeng, Y (eds) Proceedings of 7th Applied Diamond Conference/Third Frontier Carbon Technology Joint Conference, Tsukuba, Japan, vol NASA/CP − 2003-212319, USA, pp 297–302Google Scholar
- 10.Guo G-F, Li E, Zhang Q-S, Li H-F (2003) Measurement of temperature dependence of complex permittivity of low-loss dielectric material. J Aeronaut Mater 23:194 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 14.Mocheneva OS and Parshin VV (2011) The electromagnetic microwaves scattering by inhomogeneities in CVD-Diamond, In: Proceedings of the 8th international workshop on strong microwaves and terahertz waves: sources and applications, N. Novgorod, St. Petersburg, pp 322–323Google Scholar