Geography and Sustainable Development in Teaching and Education in Argentina
- 462 Downloads
The world is witnessing dramatic changes and undergoing processes of serious environmental deterioration and pollution. The irrational exploitation of natural resources has generated restlessness and concern for future generations and has forced scientists and politicians all over the world to include topics such as the environment, sustainable development and education in the agendas of international meetings and conferences held to protect the environment and address environment-related issues. At first, discussions were focused on uncontrolled population growth resulting in food scarcity, increasing urbanisation, shortage of drinking water supplies, indiscriminate deforestation, soil erosion, the advance of desertification, and the use of fossil fuel, that is, a great number of problems that needed to be studied and solved. Many of the resources we use are non-renewable and, therefore, a rational exploitation is required. The conflicting and changing world in which we live needs more than ever education and the contribution of different disciplines, including geography, in order to achieve sustainable development.
KeywordsSustainable Development Environmental Policy Clean Development Mechanism Environmental Education General Environment
- Benejam, P, and J Pages (eds.). 1998. Enseñar y Aprender Ciencias Sociales, Geografía e Historia en la Escuela Secundaria (Teaching and learning Social Sciences, Geography and History in secondary schools), 2nd ed, 71–94. Barcelona: ICE, Barcelona University.Google Scholar
- Comisión Mundial del Ambiente y Desarrollo. 1987. Nuestro Futuro Común. Madrid: Alianza Ed.Google Scholar
- ECOPIBES. 2010. Desarrollo Sustentable Ambiental, Social y Economico Para Todos. http://www.ecopibes.com/mas/desarrollo. Accessed 12 Feb 2010.
- Frers, C. 2008. Promoviendo una Educación Hacia el Desarrollo Sostenible. http://www.ecoportal.net. Accessed 31 May 2008.
- IADS–Instituto Argentino para el Desarrollo Sustentable. 2008. http://www.iadsargentina.org. Accessed 25 Jan 2009.
- Merenson, C. 2001. Estrategia Nacional de Desarrollo Sustentable (National Strategy for Sustainable Development). Basis Document, National Board for sustainable Development: 10.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Education. 2005. Núcleos de Aprendizajes Prioritarios. www.me.gov.ar/curriform/nap.html. Acessed 12 July 2009.
- Secretary of Environment and Sustainable Development. 2008a. Ley de Educación Nacional. http://www.Debate-Education/debate-educacion.educ.ar/ley/. Accessed 10 Feb 2010.
- Secretary of Environment and Sustainable Development. 2008b. Estrategia Nacional de Educación Ambiental. http://www.ambiente.gov.ar/default.asp?idseccion=231. Accessed 07 Feb. 2010.
- UNESCO. 2009. Tendencias de la Educación Ambiental a partir de la Conferencia de Tbilisi. http://www.unesco.org/es. Accessed 12 Aug 2009.