Optimization had its roots in the scientific revolution period and thus is one of the oldest sciences . For industrial applications, however it remained dormant until recent times. The pioneering work of modern structural topology can be traced back to 1981 when Cheng and Olhoff, see Keng-Tuno , introduced the concept of microstructure to structural optimization in studying the optimum thickness design of a solid elastic plate for minimum compliance. A continuum approach to structural topology optimization was first introduced by Bendsøe and Kikuchi . Optimization of finite element-based structures is acknowledged as a useful methodology for achieving important improvements in product design and is widely used in automotive and aerospace industries.
KeywordsDesign Variable Topology Optimization Minimum Compliance Structural Topology Optimization Blade Root
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bendsøe, M.P. and Kikuchi, N. (1988) Generating Optimal Topologies in Optimal Design Using a Homogenization Method. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., vol. 71, p. 197.Google Scholar
- 2.Bendsøe, M.P. and Sigmund, O. (2003) Topology Optimization – Theory, Methods and Applications, Springer, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- 3.Bendsøe, M.P. et al. (1994) An Analytical Method to Predict Optimal Material Properties in the Context of Optimal Structural Design, Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 61, no. 4, p. 930.Google Scholar
- 4.Bendsøe, M.P. et al. (1995) Optimal Design of Material Properties and Material Distribution for Multiple Loading Conditions, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 38, no. 7, p. 1149.Google Scholar
- 5.Keng-Tuno, C. (1981) On Non-Smoothness in Optimal Design of Solid, Elastic Plates, International Journal of Structures, vol. 17, no. 8, p. 795.Google Scholar
- 6.Rao, J.S., Bhaskar Kishore, Ch. and Vasanthakumar, M. (2008) Weight Optimization of Turbine Blades, in Proceedings 12th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu, Hawaii, ISROMAC12-2008-20020.Google Scholar
- 7.Rao, J.S. and Suresh, S. (2006) Blade Root Shape Optimization, in Proceedings of Future of Gas Turbine Technology, 3rd International Conference, Brussels, Belgium, 11–12 October 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Rao, S.S. (1996) Engineering Optimization – Theory and Practice, New Age.Google Scholar