SPECT Lung Delineation
- 677 Downloads
This is a review paper of our quest in developing and implementing an automated three-dimensional (3D) lung delineation method capable of handling single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) lung scans with defective contours and/or varying maximum count value (MCV) and total count value (TCV). Six clinically significant datasets consisting of simulations and real subject scans are used consistently throughout our studies. We first develop a dynamic thresholding method which allows removal of background noise in a 3D volumetric fashion. Next, we implement 3D image processing techniques to enhance the SPECT lung contours. Finally, we develop 3D active contours to perform actual delineation. Quantitative validation using known-volume simulations and qualitative verification via experienced physicians are done to evaluate the methods. We achieve over 90% agreement on average throughout all six datasets.
KeywordsSPECT lungs 3D active contours Pulmonary embolism
We would like to thank the physicians and staff at the Royal North Shore Hospital, Australia for the provisioning of the original datasets as well as medical guidance throughout our studies.
- 2.Howarth, D.M., Lan, L., Thomas, P.A., et al.: 99mTc technegas ventilation and perfusion lung scintigraphy for the diagnosis of pulmonary embolus. J. Nucl. Med. 40(4), 579–584 (1999) Google Scholar
- 3.Gottschalk, A., Sostman, H.D., Coleman, R.E., et al.: Ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy in the PIOPED study. Part I. Data collection and tabulation. J. Nucl. Med. 37(7), 1109–1118 (1993) Google Scholar
- 4.Gottschalk, A., Sostman, H.D., Coleman, R.E., et al.: Ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy in the PIOPED study. Part II. Evaluation of the scintigraphic criteria and interpretations. J. Nucl. Med. 34(7), 1119–1126 (1993) Google Scholar
- 5.Bajc, M., Bitzen, U., Olsson, B., et al.: Lung ventilation/perfusion SPECT in the artificially embolized pig. J. Nucl. Med. 43(5), 640–647 (2002) Google Scholar
- 7.Palmer, J., Bitzen, U., Jonson, B., et al.: Comprehensive ventilation/perfusion SPECT. J. Nucl. Med. 42(8), 1288–1294 (2001) Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, A., Yan, H.: Delineating SPECT lung contours using 3D snake. In: Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science: Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2010, IMECS 2010, Hong Kong, 17–19 March 2010, pp. 1494–1499 (2010) Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, A., Yan, H.: SPECT lung delineation via true 3D active contours. In: IAENG Transactions on Engineering Technologies, vol. 5: Special Edition of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2010. American Institute of Physics, New York (2010, in press) Google Scholar
- 12.Trucco, E., Verri, A.: Introductory Techniques for 3-D Computer Vision, 1st edn. Prentice Hall, New York (1998) Google Scholar