Rotating Internal Damping in the Case of Composite Shafts
There is an increasing range of applications for rotors made of composite materials and operating at supercritical speeds. Design of such structures involves specific features which have to be accounted for in order to allow safe operations. A proper modeling of the mechanical characteristics of the composite is first needed. But, as far as the structure is rotating, the effect of stress stiffening and spin softening may be considered and the effect of internal damping has to be studied in order to avoid possible instability. Internal or rotating damping modeling remains an active field of research where both theoretical developments and experimental results are needed.
KeywordsRotating shaft Composite material Instability Internal damping Rotating damping
The authors wish to thank Pr. C. Hochard from the Laboratoire de Mécanique et d’Acoustique, UPR CNRS 7051 Marseille France and Dr O. Montagnier for providing the experimental data presented in Sect. 4.
- 1.Newkirk, B.L.: Shaft whipping. Gen. Electr. Rev. 27(3), 169–178 (1924)Google Scholar
- 2.Genta, G.: Dynamics of Rotating Systems. Springer, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Cerminaro, A.M., Nelson, F.C.: The Effect of Viscous and Hysteretic Damping Rotor Stability. ASME TURBOEXPO, Munich, Germany (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Sino, R., Chatelet, E., Montagnier, O., Jacquet-Richardet, G.: Dynamic Instability of Internally Damped Rotors. ASME TURBOEXPO, Montreal, Canada (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Genta, G.: Time domain simulation of rotors with hysteretic damping. In: Nineth International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, Exeter, pp.799–810 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Pereira, J.C., Marcio, E.S.: Evaluation and Optimization of the Instability Regions on Rotors in Wounding Shaft. II Congresso Nacional de Engenharia Mecânica, João Pessoa, Brazil (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Montagnier, O., Hochard, C.:Etude théorique et expérimentale de la dynamique des arbres de transmission supercritiques. 17ème congrès Français de Mécanique, Troyes, 29 Août-2 Septembre (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Montagnier, O., Hochard, C.: Design of Supercritical Composite Helicopter Driveshafts: Theoretical and Experimental Study. European Conference for Aerospace Sciences (EUCASS) (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Osinski, Z.: Damping of Vibrations. Institute of Machine Design Fundamentals, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland, A.A.balkema (1998)Google Scholar
- 19.Lalanne, M., Ferraris, G.: Rotordynamics Prediction in Engineering, 2nd edn. J. Wiley and Sons, p. 254 (1998)Google Scholar