Synthesis and Outlook
This section presents our view of forests in general and the forest–water issue in particular. It attempts an overview-synthesis of the wide range of disciplines and approaches for studying forests and water discussed in this book. Here we discuss the holistic and reductionist approaches to studying forests and their interaction with water and management. The ideas of forest services, risks and costs are also introduced.
KeywordsForest Management Water Cycle Forest Degradation Forest Service Holistic Thinking
- Anonymous (2008) Hydrologic effects of a changing forest landscape. Report by the Committee on Hydrologic impacts of forest management, National Research Council. The National Academies Press, 180 ppGoogle Scholar
- Hamilton LS (2008) Forests and water. FAO Forestry Paper 155. FAO, Rome, p 78Google Scholar
- Lindberg K, Furze B, Staff M, Black R (1997) Asia-Pacific forestry sector outlook study: ecotourism and other services derived from forests in the Asia-Pacific region: outlook to 2010. USDA Working Paper No: APFSOS/WP/24Google Scholar
- Sousson J, Shestra B, Uprety L (1995) The social dynamics of deforestation: a case study from Nepal. Parthenon, Casterton HillGoogle Scholar
- World Bank (1997) 25 years of improvement. Chapter VII. Forestry. From website http://www.worldbank.org/html/cgiar/25years/forest.html