Compassion and the Personalism of American Jurisprudence: Bioethical Entailments
Part of the Philosophy and Medicine book series (PHME, volume 110)
- 538 Downloads
Prima facie, compassion seems to dictate the permissibility of assisted suicide for the terminally ill as well as the permissibility of in vitro fertilization for desperate would-be parents.
KeywordsMedical Professional Free Choice Human Person Assisted Suicide Equal Protection
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Boyle, J.M. 1979. That the fetus should be considered a legal person. The American Journal of Jurisprudence 59:59–71.Google Scholar
- Boyle, J.M. 1980. Freedom, Christian values and secular values. In The battle for the Catholic mind: Catholic faith and Catholic intellect in the work of the fellowship of Catholic scholars 1978–1995, eds. W.E. May and K.D. Whitehead, 181–205. South Bend: St. Augustine’s Press.Google Scholar
- Committee of the Harvard Medical School to Examine the Definition of Brain Death. 1968. Report of the Ad Hoc committee of the Harvard Medical School to examine the definition of brain death. Journal of the American Medical Association 205:85–88. Reprinted In Bioethics: An anthology, eds. P. Singer and H. Kuhse, 287–291. Malden, MA: Blackwell.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fox News.com. 2008. Transgender woman sues Catholic hospital for refusing breast enlargement surgery. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321746,00.html. Accessed 19 Jan 2008.
- Frankl, V. 1946. Ein Psycholog erlebt das Konzentrationslager. Published in English (1959) as Man’s search for meaning. New York, NY: Pocket Books.Google Scholar
- Fuller, L. 1969. The morality of law, Rev. ed. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- George, R.P. 2002. The clash of orthodoxies. Washington, DC: ISI Books.Google Scholar
- Grisez, G., and Boyle, J. 1979. Life and death with liberty and justice: A contribution to the euthanasia debate. Notre Dame and London: University of Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- Hayden, R.M. 1989. The paradox of Aquinas’ altruism: From self-love to love of others. Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly 63:72–84.Google Scholar
- Hayden, R.M. 1991. Aquinas and natural human fulfillment: Inconsistencies? Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly 65:215–233.Google Scholar
- Henig, R.M. 2005. At war with their bodies, they seek to sever limbs. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/22/health/psychology/22ampu.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1258560034-cZLs7gFh4f0Tvxky9RCyJA. Accessed 22 Mar 2005.
- Kant, I. 1993. Grounding for the metaphysics of morals with on a supposed right to lie because of philanthropic concerns, 3rd edition. (trans: Ellington, J.W.). Indianapolis and Cambridge: Hackett Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Lemmons, R.M. 2010. Does suffering defeat eudaimonic practical reasoning? Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly 83:155–172.Google Scholar
- Lincoln, A. 1863. Gettysburg address in American historical documents: 1000–1904. In The Harvard Classics, Ed. C. W. Eliot, p. 441. New York, NY: P. F. Collier & Son Company.Google Scholar
- Overdorf, J. 2008. Stolen kidneys. Newsweek. http://www.newsweek.com/id/107448. Accessed 1 Feb 2008.
- Pakaluk, Michael. 1994. Political friendship. In The changing face of friendship, ed. Leroy S. Rouner, 197–212. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame.Google Scholar
- Singer, P. 1993. Practical ethics, 2nd edition. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- St. Thomas Aquinas. 1947. Summa theologiae. New York, NY: Benzinger Brothers.Google Scholar
- Sudworth, J. 2006. Inquiry into ‘Beggar Amputations.’ BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5231022.stm. Accessed, 31 Jul 2006.
- Thomson, J.J. 1977. A defense of abortion. Philosophy and Public Affairs 1:47–66. Reprinted in Bioethics: An anthology, eds. P. Singer and H. Kuhse, 21–35. Malden, MA: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Tooley, M. 1972. Abortion and infanticide. Philosophy and Public Affairs 2:37–65. Reprinted in Bioethics: An anthology, eds. P. Singer and H. Kuhse, 21–35. Malden, MA: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Wojtyla, K. 1961. Personalizm tomistyczny. Znak 13:664–675. Reprinted as Thomistic personalism. In Wojtyla, K. 1993. Person and community. (trans: Sandok, T. OSM), 165–175. New York, NY: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Wojtyla, K. 1993. Love and responsibility. (trans: Willetts, H.T.). San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press.Google Scholar
- Woodward, C. 2007. Pharmacists sue over WA emergency contraception rules. The Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003807209_webpharmacists27m.html. Accessed 26 Jul 2007.
- Zwillich, T. 2005. Bill says pharmacies must fill birth control Rx. WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/news/20050414/bill-says-pharmacies-must-fill-birth-control-rx. Accessed Apr 14 2005.
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011