Embryo Ethics: Justice and Nascent Human Life
Part of the Philosophy and Medicine book series (PHME, volume 110)
- 4.6k Downloads
If we were to contemplate killing mentally handicapped infants to obtain transplantable organs, no one would characterize the controversy that would erupt as a debate about organ transplantation.
KeywordsBrain Death Human Embryo Embryonic Stage Human Organism Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Bailey, R. 2001. Are stem cells babies? Reasononline. Available online at: http://www.reason.com/news/show/34840.html. Accessed 02 Sep 2010.
- Boyle, J.M. 1979. That the fetus should be considered a legal person. The American Journal of Jurisprudence 59:59–71.Google Scholar
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. 1987. Instruction on respect for human life in its origin and on the dignity of procreation: Replies to certain questions of the day [Donum Vitae]. http: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19870222_respect-for-human-life_en.html. Accessed 02 Sep 2010.
- Edwards, R., and P. Steptoe. 1981. A matter of life. London: Hutchinson’s.Google Scholar
- Finnis, J. 2000. Some fundamental evils in generating human embryos by cloning. In Ethics and law in biomedical research, ed. C.M. Mazzoni, 99–106. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- George, R.P., and C. Tollefsen. 2008. Embryo: A defense of human life. New York, NY: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- George, R.P., and P. Lee. 2004. Acorns and embryos. The New Atlantis 7:90–100.Google Scholar
- George, R.P., and P. Lee. 2005. Dualistic delusions. First Things 150:5–7.Google Scholar
- George, R.P., and P. Lee. 2006. The first fourteen days of life. New Atlantis 6:61–67.Google Scholar
- Highfield, R. 2007. Dolly creator Ian Wilmut Shuns cloning. Telegraph.co.uk, November 16, 2007.Google Scholar
- Hurlbut, W. 2002. Personal statement of Dr. William Hurlbut. In Human Cloning and Human Dignity: An Ethical Inquiry. Report of the President’s Council on Bioethics, Washington, DC. Available online at: http://bioethics.georgetown.edu/pcbe/reports/cloningreport/appendix_html#hurlbut. Accessed 02 Sep 2010.
- Lee, P., and R.P. George. 2005. The wrong of abortion. In Contemporary Debates in Applied Ethics, eds. A.I. Cohen and C. Wellman, 13–26. New York, NY: Blackwell Publishers.Google Scholar
- Lee, P., and R.P. George. 2006. The first fourteen days of human life. New Atlantis 13:61–67.Google Scholar
- Moore, K., and T.V.N. Persaud. 2008. The developing human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, 8th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders.Google Scholar
- O’Rahilly, R., and F. Mueller. 2000. Human embryology and teratology. New York, NY: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Olasky, M. 2004. Blue state philosopher. World 19. Available on-line at http://www.worldmag.com/articles/9987. Accessed 02 Sep 2010.
- President’s Council on Bioethics. 2002. Session 5 meeting, January 18, 2002, Transcript available online at http://www.bioethics.gov/transcripts/jan02/jan18session5.html.
- Science. 2002. Metaphor of the Week 295:1637.Google Scholar
- Silver, L. 1997. Remaking eden. New York, NY: Avon Books.Google Scholar
- Singer, P. 1995. Killing babies is not always wrong. The Spectator 16:20–22.Google Scholar
- The President’s Council on Bioethics. 2005. White paper: Alternative sources of pluripotent stem cells. http://bioethics.georgetown.edu/pcbe/reports/white_paper/text.html. Accessed 07 Sep 2010.
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011