Direct Microsurgery of Craniopharyngiomas: A Review of the Series of the Istituto Neurologico of Milan, Italy
- 58 Downloads
In addressing the problem of craniopharyngioma one is struck by the manysidedness of the disease, by the controversy that it has always generated, by the successes and, even more, by the unexpected failures of treatment, surgical and other, reported in this battle against an entity often inappropriately termed “benign.” Malis’ quip about meningiomas of the confluens sinuum “the one good thing about torcular meningiomas is their rarity” (1988) might be applied to craniopharyngiomas but for the unfortunate fact that they are not so rare and thus even this one small virtue is lacking. Wry humor aside, the patient who consults us about a space-occupying lesion of the sellar region that might be a craniopharyngioma always represents a matter to be faced with extreme caution, competence, flexibility, and the heightened awareness that demands total commitment from everyone before, during, and after the surgical act, which of course remains the crucial moment for the future of these patients.
KeywordsDiabetes Insipidus Total Removal Of74 Case Posterior Cranial Fossa Radical Removal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arita N, Mori S, Ikeda T, et al (1986) Removal of craniopharyngioma by a unilateral interhemispheric trans-lamina terminalis approach: operative procedures and postoperative management. In: Samii M (ed) Surgery in and around the brain stem and the third ventricle. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, pp 389–395CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Carmel PW (1985) Craniopharyngiomas. In: Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS (eds) Neurosurgery. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 905–916Google Scholar
- Choux M, Lena G, Genitori L (1991) Le craniopharyngiome de l’ enfant. Neurochirurgie 37 (Suppl. 1):1–174Google Scholar
- Hoffman HJ, Raffel C (1989) Craniopharyngiomas. In: McLaurin RL, Venes JL, Schut L, Epstein F (eds) Pediatric neurosurgery, 2nd edn. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 399–408Google Scholar
- Hoffman HJ, Chuang S, Ehrlich R, et al (1985) The microsurgical removal of craniopharyngiomas in childhood. Conc Pediatr Neurosurg 6: pp 52–62Google Scholar
- Konovalov AN (1981) Operative management of craniopharyngiomas. Adv Tech Stand Neurosurg 8:291–318Google Scholar
- Konovalov AN (1987) Technique and strategies of direct surgical management of craniopharyngioma. In: Apuzzo MLJ (ed) Surgery of the third ventricle. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 542–553Google Scholar