Single Lead DDD Stimulation: Is It a Real Progress?
Although the benefits of dual (DDD) over single (VVI) chamber pacing have been demonstrated in hemodyamics, exercise capacity, quality of life and reduced complications in patients with atrioventricular block and sick sinus syndrome; a considerable number of such patients still receive single-chamber ventricular pacemakers, mostly because of the lower cost and easier implantation of such pacing systems. An interesting alternative to DDD(R) pacemakers is offered by single lead VDD(R) pacing system, where atrial sensing and ventricular pacing are incorporated in the same lead, which provides the benefits of A-V synchronous pacing with a system as easy to implant as a VVI pacemaker.
KeywordsPhrenic Nerve Atrial Capture Atrial Pace Cardiac Pace Sick Sinus Syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bongiorni MG, Bedendi N and Multicenter Study Group (1992) Atrial stimulation by means of floating electrodes: a multicenter experience. PACE 15: 1977Google Scholar
- 3.Hartung WM, Hidden-Lucet F, Mc Teague K et al (1994) Overlapping biphasic stimulation: a novel pacing mode with low capture thresholds. Circulation 90: (pt. 4, suppl. I) I-69 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 4.Hartung WM, Mc Teague K, Götte A et al (1995) Atrial pacing via floating ring electrodes - first results in humans using overlapping biphasic stimulation. 68th Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, Anaheim, USA, Nov. (abstr )Google Scholar
- 5.Lucchese F, Halperin C, Ströbel JP et al (1996) Single lead DDD pacing with overlapping biphasic atrial stimulation - first clinical results. PACE 19: 601 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 6.Rey JL, El Ghelbazouri F, Hermida JS et al (1996) Biphasic atrial pacing using the floating electrodes of a VDD single lead pacing system. Eur J Cardiac Pacing Electrophysiol 6 (suppl 1): 35–42Google Scholar
- 7.Hartung WM, Ströbel JP, Taskiran M et al (1996) Overlapping biphasic impulse - stimulation using a single lead implantable pacemaker system - first results. PACE 19: 601 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 9.Gascon D, Pérez-Vico F, Espina P et al (1996) Single lead DDD pacing. Eur J Cardiac Pacing Electrophysiol, 6(suppl 5 ): 239 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 10.Rey JL (1996) Dual chamber pacing with a single lead system: First results with implanted patients. In: Progress in clinical pacing. M. Santini (ed), Futura Publishing, pp 373–379Google Scholar