Is Echocardiographic Investigation Useful for Establishing the Chronological Sequence of Events in Tilt Induced Syncope?
Neuromediated syncope is a clinical event experienced by nearly 20% of the adult population . Using the head-up tilting test (HUT) we can reproduce the syncope in more than 50% of these subjects ; furthermore we can investigate the pathophysiology of the event utilizing echocardiographic  or hemodynamic  monitoring during the test.
KeywordsLower Body Negative Pressure Forward Flow Vasovagal Syncope Fractional Area Change Mitral Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lamb L, Green HC, Combs JJ, Cheesman SA, Hammond J (1960) Incidence of loss of consciousness in 1980 Air Force personnel. Aerospace Med 12: 973–988Google Scholar
- 4.Wartmann A, Herrmann I, Gohl K, Bachmann K (1990) Cardiodynamic changes during passive tilt and acute nitrate therapy. Am J Cardiol 81: 1488–1497Google Scholar
- 6.Fitzpatrick A, Williams T, Ahmed R, Lightman S, Bloom SR, Sutton R (1992) Echocardiographic and endocrine changes during vasovagal syncope induced by prolonged head-up tilt. Eur J Cardiac Pacing Electrophysiol 2: 121–128Google Scholar
- 10.Gillingan DM, Nihoyannopoulos P, Chan WL, Oakley CM (1992) Investigation of a hemodynamic basis for syncope in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Use of a head-up tilt test. Circulation 85: 2140–2148Google Scholar
- 11.De Piccoli B, Rigo F, Caprioglio F, Zuin G, Gasparini G, Raviele A, Piccolo E (1992) Echo-Doppler investigation during head-up tilt test in patients with neurally-mediated syncope. Eur Heart J 13: 417Google Scholar
- 12.Giada F, Themistoclakis S, Brignole M, Menozzi C, Marangoni G, Alboni P, Raviele A (1997) Short-duration pharmacological head-up tilt test: low-dose isoproterenol or nitroglycerin? J Am Coll Cardiol 29: 468AGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zamora R, Vitelo R, Crosson JE, Hesslein PS, Berry J M, Dunningan A (1991) Hemodynamic changes in children with syncope. Circulation 84: 224Google Scholar
- 14.Castello R, Janosik D, Mehdirad A, Ofili EO, Fredaman C, St.Vrain JA, Lenzen P, Labovitz AJ (1991) Mechanisms underlying head up tilt-induced syncope: an echocardiographic study. Circulation 84: 162Google Scholar