What Have We Learned from the US Experience on the Prophylactic Use of ICDs Following MADIT?
Referred to as the “single most important arrhythmia study of the 90’s”, the Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial (MADIT) has had a profound effect on the worldwide practice of cardiac electrophysiology . While the conclusions of the study recommend a dramatic change in therapy application for selected high-risk asymptomatic patients, the actual implementation of these recommendations has not been previously reported. We will review the MADIT experience in the United States (U.S.), placing it in historical perspective, in the first year since conclusion of the study.
KeywordsImplantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Implantable Defibrillator Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial Conventional Therapy Group Antiarrhythmic Versus Implantable Defibrillator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Moss AJ, Hall WJ, Cannom DS, Daubert JP, Higgins SL, Klein H, Levine JH, Saksena S, Waldo AL, Wilber D, Brown MW, Heo M for the Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial Investigators (1996) Improved survival with an implanted defibrillator in patients with coronary disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmia. N Engl J Med 335: 1933–1940PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mushlin AI, Hall WJ, Zwanziger J, Gajary E, Andrews M, Marron R, Zou K, Moss AJ for the Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial Investigators (1997) The cost effectiveness of an implanted cardiac defibrillator in patients with coronary disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmia: results from the economic component of the MADIT study (pre-publication draft)Google Scholar
- 6.Higgins SL (1997) The implantable cardioverter defibrillator: a videotape and Manual. Futura Publishing Co., Inc. Armonk, NY, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 8.Julian DG, Camm AJ, Frangin G, Janse MJ, Munoz A, Schwartz PJ, Simon P for the European Myocardial Infarct Amiodarone Trial Investigators (1997) Randomised trial of effect of amiodarone on mortality in patients with left-ventricular dysfunction after recent myocardial infarction: EMIAT. Lancet 349: 667–674Google Scholar
- 9.Cairns JA, Connolly SJ, Roberts R, Gent M for the Canadian Amiodarone Myocardial Infarction Arrhythmia Trial Investigators (1997) Randomised trial of outcome after myocardial infarction in patients with frequent or repetitive ventricular premature depolarisations: CAMIAT. Lancet 349: 675–682Google Scholar
- 11.National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Communications (1997) NHLBI stops arrhythmia study-implantable cardiac defibrillators reduce deaths. NIH press release, April 14Google Scholar
- 12.Voshage-Stahl L and Capek J (1997) CPI/Guidant Corporation Marketing division (personal correspondence), March 16Google Scholar