After CAMIAT and EMIAT What is the Role for Amiodarone in the Prevention of Sudden Death
Despite the tremendous strides in its diagnosis and management over the recent years, coronary heart disease remains the leading cause of death in the industrialised world. In the UK, about 459 people die of a heart attack everyday-over 170 000 people every year . The majority of deaths following an acute myocardial infarction (AMI) occur in the first year, with a mortality rate ranging from between 5% to 15% [2, 3]. The major cause of death in the first year after acute myocardial infarction is sudden death, usually due to ventricular arrhythmias [4, 5]. While the definition of sudden death is still under much debate  it is recognised that the majority of these events, although not exclusively, begin as ventricular tachycardia which quickly degenerates into ventricular fibrillation, in the absence of either acute infarction or significant ischaemia [7, 8].
KeywordsAcute Myocardial Infarction Ventricular Arrhythmia Acute Myocardial Infarction Arrhythmic Death Ventricular Premature Depolarisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boaz A, Rayner M (1995) Coronary Heart Disease Statistics, The Coronary Prevention Group/British Heart Foundation Statistics Database, 102, Gloucester Place, London, UKGoogle Scholar
- 10.The Norwegian Multicentre Study Group (1979) Timolol-induced reduction in mortality and reinfarction in patients surviving acute myocardial infarction. Lancet 11: 865–872Google Scholar
- 12.Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C, Carlsen JE, Bagger H, Eliasen P, Lyngborg K, Videbaek J, Cole D, Auclert L, Pauly N, Aliot E, Persson S, Camm AJ for the TRAndolapril Cardiac Evaluation (TRACE) Study Group (1995) A clinical trial of the Angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor trandolapril in patients with left-ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction. New Eng J Med 333: 1670–1676PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Waldo AL, Camm AJ, deRuyter H, Friedman PL, MacNeil DJ, Pauls JF, Pitt B, Pratt CM, Schwartz PJ, Veitri EP for the SWORD investigators (1996) Effect of d-sotalol on mortality in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after recent and remote myocardial infarction. Lancet 348: 7–12Google Scholar
- 18.Cairns JA, Connolly SJ, Roberts R, Gent M for the Canadian Amiodarone Myocardial Infarction Arrhythmia Trial investigators (1997) Randomised trial of outcome after myocardial infarction in patients with frequent or repetitive ventricular premature depolarisations: CAMIAT. Lancet 349: 675–682Google Scholar
- 19.Julian D, Camm AJ, Frangin G, Janse MJ, Munoz A, Schwartz PJ, Simon P for the European Myocardial Infarct Amiodarone Trial Investigators (1997) Randomised trial of the effect of amiodarone on mortality in patients with left-ventricular dysfunction after recent myocardial infarction: EMIAT. Lancet 349: 667–674Google Scholar
- 29.McKenna WJ, Adams KM, Poloniecki JD et al (1989) Long term survival with amiodarone in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and ventricular tachycardia. Circulation 80[suppl II1:II-7 (abstr)Google Scholar