Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: When Antiplatelet Agents and When Anticoagulants?
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common sustained cardiac arrhythmia encountered in clinical practice.
KeywordsAtrial Fibrillation International Normalize Ratio Stroke Prevention Atrial Fibrillation Patient Antithrombotic Therapy
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Prytosky EN, Benson DW, Fuster V, Hart RG, Kay GN, Myerburg RJ, Naccarelli GV, Wyse DG (1996) Management of patients with atrial fibrillation. A statement for healthcare professionals from the Subcommittee on Electrocardiography and Electrophysiology, American Heart Association. Circulation 93: 1262–1277Google Scholar
- 4.Cerebral Embolism Task Force (1989) Cardiogenic brain embolism: the second report of the Cerebral Embolism Task Force. Arch Neurol 46: 727–743Google Scholar
- 6.Cairns JA, Connolly SJ (1991) Nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. Risk of stroke and role of antithrombotic therapy. Circulation 84: 469–481Google Scholar
- 8.The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Working Group on Atrial Fibrillation (1993) Atrial fibrillation: current undestandings and research imperatives. J Am Coll Cardiol 32: 1830–1834Google Scholar
- 10.Stein B, Fuster V, Halperin JL, Chesebro JH (1989) Antithrombotic therapy in cardiac disease. An emerging approach based on pathogenesis and risk. Circulation 80: 15011513Google Scholar
- 12.Petersen P, Boysen G, Godtfredsen J, Andersen ED, Andersen B (1989) Placebo-controlled, randomised trial of warfarin and aspirin for prevention of thromboembolic complications in chronic atrial fibrillation. The Copenhagen AFASAK Study. Lancet 1: 175–179Google Scholar
- 14.The Boston Area Anticoagulation Trial for Atrial Fibrillation Investigators (1990) The effect of low-dose warfarin on the risk of stroke in patients with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 325: 1505–1511Google Scholar
- 15.Connolly SJ, Laupacis A, Gent M, Roberts RS, Cairns JA, Joyner C, for the CAFA study coinvestigators (1991) Canadian Atrial Fibrillation Anticoagulation ( CAFA) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 18: 349–355Google Scholar
- 16.Ezekowitz MD, Bridgers SL, James KE, Carliner NH, Colling CL, Gornick CC, Krause-Steinrauf H, Kurtzke JF, Nazarian SM, Radford MJ, Rickles FR, Shabetai R, Deykin D, for the Veterans Affairs Stroke Prevention in Nonrheumatic Atrial Fibrillation Investigators (1992) Warfarin in the prevention of stroke associated with non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 327: 1406–1412Google Scholar
- 20.Kopecky Sl, Gersh BJ, Mc Goon MD, Whisnant JP, Holmes DR Jr, Ilstrup DM, Frye RL (1987) The natural history of lone atrial fibrillation: a population-based study over three decades. N Engl J Med 327: 1406–1412Google Scholar
- 23.Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation Investigators (1994) Warfarin versus aspirin for prevention of thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation: Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation II Study. Lancet 346: 687–691Google Scholar
- 24.European Atrial Fibrillation Trial (EAFT) Study Group (1993) Secondary prevention in non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation after transient ischaemic attack or minor stroke. Lancet 342: 1255–1262Google Scholar
- 25.Cataldo G, SIFA Study Group (1995) Secondary prevention of stroke in non-valvular atrial fibrillation: results of the SIFA (Studio Italiano Fibrillazione Atriale). J Am Coll Cardiol (Suppl) 144A (abstr)Google Scholar
- 28.Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation Investigators (1996) Adjusted-dose warfarin versus low-intensity, fixed-dose warfarin plus aspirin for high risk patients with atrial fibrillation: Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation III randomised clinical trial. Lancet 348: 633–638CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Di Pasquale G, Ribani MA, Urbinati S, Passarelli P, Pinelli G (1995) Come si deve trattare oggi la fibrillazione atriale. In: Prati PL (ed) Conoscere e curare it cuore ’85. CIBA Edizioni, Milano, pp 285–299Google Scholar
- 30.Palareti G, Leali N, Coccheri S et al on behalf of the Italian Study on Complications of Oral Anticoagulant Therapy (1996) Bleeding complications of oral anticoagulant treatment: an inception-cohort, prospective collaborative study ( ISCOAT ). Lancet 348: 423–428Google Scholar
- 32.Gage BF, Cardinalli AB, Albers GW, Owens DK (1995) Cost-effectiveness of warfarin and aspirin for prophylaxis of stroke in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation JAMA 274: 1839–1845Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Italia 1998