Catheter Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation: Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?
Atrial fibrillation (AF), the most common supraventricular arrhythmia,  is also one of the few remaining challenges for curative catheter ablation techniques. Though AF can be cured by extensive surgical atriotomies placed to interrupt all potential re-entry circuits without interfering grossly with conduction of a sinus impulse, these procedures have attendant limitations.
KeywordsAtrial Fibrillation Left Atrium Left Atrial Catheter Ablation Atrial Flutter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Allessie MA, Rensma PL, Brugada J, Smeets JLRM, Penn O, Kirchhof CJHJ (1990) Pathophysiology of atrial fibrillation. In: Zipes DP, Jalife J (eds) Cardiac electrophysiology: from cell to bedside. 3rd edn, WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, pp 548–559Google Scholar
- 3.Cox JL, Canavan TE, Schuessler RB et al (1991) The surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation II: Intraoperative electrophysiologic mapping and description of the electrophysiologic basis of atrial flutter and fibrillation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 101: 406–426Google Scholar
- 4.Li H, Hare J, Mughal K, Krum D, Biehl M, Deshpande S, Dhala A, Blanck Z, Sra J, Jazayeri M, Akhtar M (1996) Distribution of atrial electrogram types during atrial fibrillation: effect of rapid atrial pacing and intercaval junction ablation. J Am Coll Cardiol 27: 1713–1721PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Jaïs P, Haïssaguerre M, Garrigue S, Shah DC, Pradeau V, Gencel L, Hocini M, Clémenty J (1996) Spatial electrical distribution in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. PACE 6: 65 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 6.Shah DC, Haïssaguerre M, Jaïs P, Gencel L, Chouairi S, Clémenty J (1996) Disparate electrical SVC activity during atrial fibrillation. Eur J Cardiac Pacing Electrophysiol 6: 70 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 7.Haines DE, McRury IA (1995) Primary atrial fibrillation ablation (PAFA) in a chronic atrial fibrillation model. Circulation 92:I-265 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 9.Avitall B, Helms RW, Chiang W, Periman BA (1995) Nonlinear atrial radiofrequency lesions are arrhythmogenic: a study of skipped lesions in the normal atria. Circulation 92:I-265 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 10.Olgin J, Kalman JM, Maguire M, Chin MC, Stillson CA, Ursel P, Lesh MD (1996) Electrophysiologic effects of long linear atrial lesions placed under intracardiac echo guidance. PACE 19: 581 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 12.Swartz JF, Pellersels G, Silvers J et al (1994) A catheter-based curative approach to atrial fibrillation in humans. Circulation 90 (4) Part 2:I-335 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 14.Ching Man K, Daoud E, Knight B, Weiss R, Bahu M, Harvey M, Goyal R, Bogun F, Strickberger A, Morady F (1996) Right atrial-radiofrequency catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 188A (abstr)Google Scholar
- 16.Shah DC, Jaïs P, Haïssaguerre M, Lavergne T, Takahashi A, Barold SS, Clémenty J (1997) Simplified catheter ablation of recurrent common atrial flutter. PACE (in press)Google Scholar
- 17.Jaïs P, Haïssaguerre M, Shah DC, Lavergne T, Takahashi A, Barold SS, Clémenty J (1997) Catheter therapy of multiple left atrial flutters following atrial fibrillation ablation. PACE (in press)Google Scholar