Clinical approach, monitoring and decision making in paediatric intensive care
Critically ill children are best cared for in specialised paediatric intensive care units, not, as is sometimes practised, on general paediatric wards, or on adult intensive care units. Though it seems reasonable to accept that the care of critically ill children by specialised medical, nursing and technical staff with more regular experience of the care of critically ill children will improve the quality of care, this is not accepted by all.
KeywordsPatent Ductus Arteriosus Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Cyanotic Heart Disease General Paediatric Ward
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jenkins KJ, Newburger JW, Lock JE, Davis RB, Coffman GA, Iezzoni LI (1995) In-hospital mortality for surgical repair of congenital heart defects: preliminary observations of variation by hospital caseload. Paediatrics 95:323–330Google Scholar
- 8.Kanter RK, Tompkins JM (1989) Adverse events during interhospital transport: physiologic deterioration associated with pretransport severity of illness. Paediatrics 84:43–48Google Scholar
- 9.McNab AJ (1991) Optimal escort for interhospital transport of paediatric emergencies. J Trauma 31:205–209Google Scholar
- 13.Standards for paediatric intensive care (1996) Produced by a working party under the auspices of the Paediatric Intensive Care Society. Pub Saldatore, HertfordshireGoogle Scholar
- 15.Advanced Life Support group (1993) BMJ, pp 7–12Google Scholar
- 16.The National heart, lung and blood institute (1987). Report of the second task force on blood pressure control in children Paediatrics 79:1–25Google Scholar
- 20.Paranka MS, Clark RH, Bradley AY, Null DM (1995) Predictors of failure of high frequency oscillatory ventilation in term infants with severe respiratory failure. J Paediatr 95:400–404Google Scholar
- 23.Park MK (1995) Paediatric cardiology for practitioners. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 367–373Google Scholar
- 28.Fleischman AR, Nolan K, Dubler NN, Epstein MF, Gerben MA, Jellinek MS, Litt IF, Miles MS, Oppenheimer S, Shaw A, van Eys J, Vaughan VC (1994) Caring for gravely ill children. Paediatrics 94:433–439Google Scholar
- 30.Association of Anaesthetists (1988) Recommendations for standards of monitoring during anaesthesia and recovery. Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and IrelandGoogle Scholar