Use of Propacetamol in Postoperative Pain
Propacetamol is a prodrug of paracetamol. It is a di-ethylglycidyl-esther of paracetamol which is watersoluble. For its intravenous use, propacetamol is diluted as a solution of 2 g propacetamol in 125 ml glucose 5% and administered over a period of 10 to 15 minutes.
KeywordsTotal Knee Arthroplasty Postoperative Pain Analgesic Effect Analgesic Efficacy Hallux Valgus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Granry JC, Rod B, Boccard E et al (1992) Pharmacokinetics and antipyretic effects of an injectable prodrug of paracetamol (propacetamol) in children. Peadiatric Anaesthesia 2: 219–295Google Scholar
- 3.Autret E, Dutertre JP, Breteau M et al (1993) Pharmacokinetics of paracetamol in the neonate and infant after administration of propacetamol chlorhydrate. Dex Pharmacol Ther 10: 129–134Google Scholar
- 5.Patel A (1995) Internal Study Report, UPSA Medica, Agen, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 6.Jarde O, Boccard E (1997) Difference of paracetamol analgesic activity between oral and parenteral routes. Clinical Drug Investigation (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Hynes D, Mc Caroll M, Gerin M et al (1996) Propacetamol vs Diclofenac and placebo for postoperative pain control after total hip arthroplasty. World Congress on Pain, Vancouver Canada, Abstract 266: 161Google Scholar
- 8.Ang ET, Goldfarb G, Boccard E (1990) Analgesic efficacy of propacetamol hydrochloride 2 g versus pentazocine 30 mg after orthopedic surgery. Eur J Pain 11: 137–142Google Scholar
- 9.Lepoittevin L, Monrigal C, Rod B et al (1991) Conference on the “Management of Acute and Cancer Pain”. 27–28 April, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 10.Thys J, Veekman L, Gerin MG et al (1993) Relative analgesic efficacy of propacetamol, a prodrug of paracetamol for i.v. use, and morphine in postoperative pain. 7th World Congress on Pain, Paris, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 11.Farcas JC, Larrouturou P, Morin JP et al (1992) Analgesic efficacy of an injectable acetominophen versus a dipyrone plus pitofenone plus fenpiverinium association after abdominal aortic repair. Curr Ther Res 51: 19–27Google Scholar
- 13.Rit O, Bertram L, Joris J et al (1997) Effects of systemic administration of propacetamol on pain after total knee arthroplasty. Residents Meeting of the Belgian Association of Anesthesia and Reanimation. Liège, BelgiumGoogle Scholar
- 14.Granry JC (1997) Study of the efficacy and safety of propacetamol in children with post-operative orthopaedic surgery pain. Br J Anaesth (in press)Google Scholar
- 15.Luthy CS, Collart L, Striberni R et al (1992) The rate of administration influences the analgesic effect of paracetamol (abstract) 5th World Conference on clinical pharmacology and therapeutics, Yokohama, JapanGoogle Scholar