Effects of Systemic Circulation on Hypothalamic Temperature in the Behavioural States of Sleep
Hypothalamic temperature changes may be quantitatively expressed as the ratio between the changes in heat content and the mass of the hypothalamus multiplied by the specific heat of the tissue (ΔT=ΔQ/Mc). Heat is produced by cellular metabolism and is transferred to the perfusing arterial blood which is always maintained at a lower temperature than the hypothalamic tissue . Hypothalamic temperature is constant when hypothalamic heat content is unchanged as a result of a perfect balance between heat production and heat loss.
KeywordsBehavioural State Transmural Pressure Blood Temperature Metabolic Heat Production Bilateral Common Carotid Artery Occlusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Altman PL, Dittmer DS (1966) Environmental biology, F.A.S.E.B., Bethesda, MAGoogle Scholar
- 10.Edvinsson L, MacKenzie ET, McCulloch J(1993) Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, Raven, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.Caputa M, Kadziela W, Narebski J (1976) Significance of cranial circulation for the brain homeothermia in rabbits. II. The role of the cranial venous lakes in the defence against hyperthermia. Acta Neurobiol Exp 36:625–638Google Scholar
- 13.Cabanac M (1986) Keeping a cool head. News Physiol Sci 1:41–44Google Scholar
- 14.Cabanac M, Caputa M (1979) Natural selective cooling of the human brain: evidence of its occurrence and magnitude. J Physiol (London) 286:255–264Google Scholar
- 18.Busija DW, Heistad DD (1984) Factors involved in the physiological regulation of the cerebral circulation. Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol 101:162–211Google Scholar
- 20.Parmeggiani PL (1994) The autonomic nervous system in sleep. In: Kryger MH, Roth T, Dement WC (eds) Principles and practice of sleep medicine. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 194–203Google Scholar
- 23.Mancia G, Zanchetti A (1980) Cardiovascular regulation during sleep. In: Orem J, Barnes CD (eds) Physiology in sleep. Research topics in physiology, vol 3. Academic Press, New York, pp 1–55Google Scholar