Architecture of Alveolar Ducts, Sacs, Alveoli, and Nonresident Cells
- 25 Downloads
Each terminal bronchiole divides into two respiratory bronchioles which have a few alveoli along their course and give rise to several alveolar ducts with walls made entirely of alveoli. The alveolar ducts are followed by the alveolar sacs, which are the sites where many alveoli clusters come together. The alveolus is a terminal anatomical structure of polyhedral conformation in which gas exchange occurs . The dense packing of alveoli (approximately 300 million each, with a diameter of 250 µm) gives the lungs their spongy appearance.
KeywordsAlveolar Epithelium Alveolar Surface Terminal Bronchiole Alveolar Duct Respiratory Bronchiole
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Staub NC, Albertine KH (1988) The structure of the lungs relative to their principal function. In: Murray H, Nadel J (eds) Textbook of respiratory medicine. Saunders, London, pp 12–46Google Scholar
- 2.Maisin JR, Van Gorp U, De Saint-Georges L (1982) The ultrastructure of the lung after exposure to ionizing radiation as seen be transmission and scanning electron microscopy. Scanning Electron Microsc 1: 403–412Google Scholar
- 3.Williams MC (1990) The alveolar epithelium. Structure and study by immunocytochemistry. In: Schraufnagel DE (ed) Electron microscopy of the lung, vol 48. Dekker, New York, pp 121–147Google Scholar
- 5.Fishman AP (1988) Pulmonary diseases and disorders, vol 1, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 11–44Google Scholar
- 6.Bartles H, Oestern HJ, Voss-Wermbter G (1980) Communicating-occluding junction complexes in the alveolar epithelium. Am Rev Respir Dis 121: 1017–1024Google Scholar
- 7.Kessel RG, Kardon RH (1979) Tissue and organs: a text-atlas of SEM. Freeman, San Francisco, pp 203–217Google Scholar
- 12.Andrews PM (1979) The respiratory system. In: Hodges GM, Hallowes RC (eds) Biomedical applications of SEM, vol 1. Academic, London, pp 177–202Google Scholar
- 14.Morgenroth K (1979) Il surfattante polmonare. De Gruyter, BerlinGoogle Scholar