Imaging Follow-up of Bone Neoplasia
Imaging plays a vital role not only in initial diagnosis and staging of malignant bone tumors but also during therapy where it offers insights into pre-surgical chemotherapeutic response and post-surgical recurrence. Imaging is used following surgery or radiation to demonstrate tumor recurrence and surgical complications, which are especially common following limb-salvage surgery (LSS).
KeywordsLimb Salvage Magnetic Resonance Malignant Bone Tumor Myositis Ossificans Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dahlin DC, Unni KK (1986) Bone tumors. General aspects and data on 8 542 cases. Charles C Thomas, SpringfieldGoogle Scholar
- 2.Huvos AG (1991) Bone tumor: diagnosis, treatment and prognosis. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 85–155Google Scholar
- 4.Gitalis S (1991) Limb salvage for appendicular tumors. Curr Opin Orthop 2: 811–816Google Scholar
- 6.van der Woude HJ, Bloem JL, Hogerdoom PC (1998) Preoperative evaluation and monitoring chemotherapy in patients with high-grade osteogenic and Ewing’s sarcoma: review of current imaging modalities. Skeletal Radiol 27: 5771Google Scholar
- 8.Pastorino U, Gasparini M, Tavecchio L, et al. (1994) The contribution of salvage surgery to the management of childhood osteosarcoma. J Clin Oncol 9: 1357–1362Google Scholar
- 10.Simon MA, Aschliman MA, Thomas N, Mankin HJ (1986) Limb-salvage treatment versus amputation for osteosarco-ma of the distal end of the femur. J Bone Joint Surg Am 69: 1331–1337Google Scholar
- 12.van der Woude HJ, Bloem JL, Van Uostayen JA (1995) Treatment of high-grade bone sarcomas with neoadjuvant chemotherapy: the utility of sequential color Doppler sonography in predicting histopathologic response. Am J Roe n tgenol 165: 125–133Google Scholar
- 18.Ward WG, Yang R-S, Eckardt JJ (1996) Endoprosthetic bone reconstruction following malignant tumor resection in skeletally immature patients. Orthop Clinic North Am 27 (3): 493–502Google Scholar
- 19.Ortiz-Cruz E, Gebhardt MC, Jennings LC, Springfield DS, Mankin HJ (1997) The results of transplantation of intercalary allografts after resection of tumors. J Bone Joint Surg 79: A97 - A106Google Scholar
- 22.Lord CF, Gebhardt MC, Tomford WW, Mankin HJ (1988) Infection in bone allografts. J Bone Joint Surg 70: A369 - A376Google Scholar
- 23.Davies AM, Vanel D (1998) Follow-up of musculoskeletal tumors. I. Local recurrence. Eur Radiol 8: 791–799Google Scholar