Ischaemic Bowel Disease: Radiographic and Imaging Features
Bowel ischaemia is a clinical and pathophysiological concept relating functional and structural bowel disorders to inadequate blood supply to the small intestine and/or colon. Depending on many variables, including the onset and duration of the injury, the area and length of bowel affected, the vessel involved and the mechanism of ischaemia, different clinical, pathological and radiological forms or entities are encountered. Colonic ischaemia is the most common form of bowel ischaemia but acute mesenteric ischaemia has the worse prognosis mainly because the diagnosis is often delayed. Acute mesenteric venous thrombosis is considered apart from the other acute mesenteric ischaemic syndromes on the basis of differences in clinical manifestations and in prognosis.
KeywordsMesenteric Ischaemia Intestinal Ischaemia Contrast Enema Acute Mesenteric Ischaemia Colonic Ischaemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Acute mesenteric ischaemia and infarction
- 1.Lund EC, Han SY, Holley HC, Berland LI (1985) Intestinal ischemia, comparison of plain radiographic and computed tomographic finding. Radiographics 8:1083–1108Google Scholar
- 2.Kalga RN, Sammartano RJ, Boley SJ (1992) Aggressive approach to acute mesenteric ischaemia. Surg Clin North Am 72:157–182Google Scholar
- 4.Danse EM, Van Beers BE, Goffette P, Dardenne AN, Laterre PF, Pringot J (1996) Acute intestinal ischaemia due to occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery: detection with Doppler sonography. Ultrasound (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Pringot J, Bodart P (1989) Segmental ischaemia of the small bowel. In: Margulis AR, Burhenne HJ (eds) Alimentary tract radiology, vol 1, 4th edn. Mosby St, Louis, pp 800–806Google Scholar
Chronic mesenteric ischaemia
- 7.Scholz FJ (1993) Ischemic bowel disease. Radiol Clin North Am 31:1208–1211Google Scholar
- 10.Brandt L, Boley S, Kauvar DJ (1992) Colonic ischaemia. In: Winaver SJ (ed) Management of gastrointestinal disease. Gower, New York, pp 2302–2315Google Scholar