Radiofrequency Ablation of Supraventricular Tachycardias in Infants and Children: When Is It Really Indicated?
Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is the most common sustained cardiac arrhythmia in children and adolescents, approximately 85% being due to reentrant circuits (1). Pharmacologic treatment has been proposed as the first-line therapy for frequent, sustained episodes of SVT associated with significant symptoms. However, patients refractory to medical therapy often require surgical intervention (2), which has recently been replaced by the procedure of transcatheter ablation (3).
KeywordsCatheter Ablation Accessory Pathway Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation Slow Pathway Delta Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Klitzner TS, Roberts N (1983) The investigation of an arrhythmia: the invasive approach. In: Roberts N., Gelband H (eds) Cardiac arrhythmias in the neonate, infants and child. Appleton and Lange, East Norwalk, pp 79–103Google Scholar
- 11.Montenero AS, Crea F, Bendini MG, Biscione F, Scipione P, Mascellanti M, Cianfrone N, Di Sabato M, De Martino G, Ferro A, Bellocci F, Zecchi P (1993) Radiofrequency catheter ablation of cardiac accessory pathways using the transseptal approach. New Trends Arrhythmias 9: 405Google Scholar
- 12.Montenero AS, Crea F, Bendini MG, Pelargonio G, Intini A, Finocchiaro ML, Biscione F, Pigozzi F, Bellocci F, Zecchi P. (1995) Electrograms for identification of the atrial ablation site during catheter ablation of accessory pathways. PACE (in press)Google Scholar
- 18.Kugler JD, Danford DA, Deal BJ et al for the Pediatric Electrophysiology Society (1994) Radiofrequency catheter ablation for tachyarrhythmias in children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 330: 1481–1487Google Scholar
- 25.Kugler JD, Danford DA, Deal BJ et al for the Pediatric Electrophysiology Society (1994) Radiofrequency catheter ablation for tachyarrhythmias in children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 330: 1481–1487Google Scholar
- 26.Montenero AS, Drago F, Crea F, Bendini MG, Pelargonio G, Bellocci F, Ragonese P, Zecchi P (1994) Indications and limitations of radiofrequency ablation of supraventricular tachycardia in children. In: Pozzi L (ed) Autoapproach to cardiac arrhythmias in 1994, vol 1, pp 208–213Google Scholar