Life-threatening Complications in Peripartum
Although much less common than in the past, obstetric haemorrhage is still responsible for 13% of all matemal deaths . As with any emergency, the assessment of obstetric haemorrhage begins with the ABCs (airway, breathing, and circulation). Signs of hypovolaemic shock in a nonpregnant patient become evident after 15%-20% of total volume loss. The traditional staging scheme to assess the degree of blood loss based on clinical findings is not practical in the parturient for two reasons. First parturients have a 35%-40% increase in blood volume. Second, parturients tolerate considerable haemorrhage with minimal changes in cardiac output and blood pressure. Haemorrhage in the parturient is classified into three or four classes, depending on the degree of blood loss.
KeywordsDisseminate Intravascular Coagulation Epidural Analgesia Epidural Catheter Disseminate Intravascular Coagulation Vaginal Bleeding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bowie JD, Rochester D, Cadkin AV, et al (1978) Accuracy of placental localization by ultrasound. Radiology l28:177–180Google Scholar
- 6.Tumer LM (1994) Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy. Emerg Med Clin North Am 12:45–54Google Scholar
- 12.Spmng J, Cheng EY, Patel S (1992) When to remove an epidural catheter in a parturient with disseminated intravascular coagulation. Reg Anesth 17:351Google Scholar
- 21.Moodley J Naicker RS, Mankowitz E (1983) Eclampsia: a method of management. South Afr Med J 63:530Google Scholar
- 22.Merrell DA, Koch MA (1980) Epidural anesthesia as an anticonvulsant in the management of hypertensive and eclamptic patients in labour. South Aft Med J 58: 875Google Scholar
- 23.Johnson MD, Luppi CJ, Over DC (1998) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation. In: Gambling DR, Douglas MG (eds) Obstetric anesthesia and uncommon disorders. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 51–74Google Scholar