MR Imaging in Venous Thromboembolism
Effective therapy is available for venous thromboembolism, but can itself produce significant morbidity. Thus, an accurate diagnosis is mandatory. The clinical presentation and laboratory findings in pulmonary embolism (PE) are nonspecific; therefore, additional evaluation with imaging studies is essential. However, the most accurate imaging test (pulmonary angiography) is invasive, while noninvasive imaging tests (such as the ventilation-perfusion [V-Q] scan) have limited accuracy. Accordingly, there have been persistent attempts to develop a less invasive, more accurate imaging procedure which could replace either the V-Q scan or the pulmonary angiogram. In addition, the use of noninvasive lower extremity venous imaging to evaluate patients who present with respiratory symptoms has become widespread.
KeywordsPulmonary Embolism Deep Venous Thrombosis Pulmonary Angiography Pulmonary Angiogram Peripheral Pulmonary Artery
- 12.Murphy TP, Cronan JJ (1990) Evolution of deep venous thrombosis: a prospective evaluation with US. Radiology 77:543–548Google Scholar
- 14.Khaitan L, Midgette AS, Taylor CL, Zwolak RM, Stukel TA (1993) A meta-analysis of the use of color flow Doppler ultrasound in assessing proximal deep vein thrombosis in symptomatic compared to asymptomatic high-risk patients. Presented at the 15th Annual Meeting, Society for Medical Decision Making, Research Triangle, NCGoogle Scholar
- 23.Rossum AV, Kieft G, Treumiet F, Schepers-Bok R, Smith S (1994) Spiral volumetric CT in patients with clinical suspicion of pulmonary embohsm. Radiology 193(P):262 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 24.Goodman LR, Curtin JJ, Foley WD, Lipchik RJ, Mewissen MW, Sagar KB (1994) Helical CT of patients with “unresolved suspicion” of pulmonary embohsm. Radiology 19(P):262 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 27.Grist TM, Sostman HD, MacFall JR, Foo TKF, Spritzer CE, Witty L, Newman GE, Debatin JF, Tapson V, Saltzman HA (1993) Pulmonary angiography using MRI: initial clinical experience. Radiology 189:528–530Google Scholar