Diffusion, Perfusion and Functional MRI
Recent developments in the use of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging to measure and image molecular diffusion and blood microcirculation (perfusion) hold significant promise in the evaluation of anatomic and functional disorders of the brain. Although diffusion and perfusion are often conceptually mixed, they actually refer to different phenomena. Molecular diffusion is the result of the thermal, so-called Brownian, spontaneous random translational motion that involves all molecules. Perfusion, in contrast, relates to blood delivery to the tissues.
KeywordsApparent Diffusion Coefficient Echo Planar Imaging Magnetic Field Gradient Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Diffusion Imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Le Bihan D, Turner R, Douek P, Patronas NJ (1992) Diffusion MR Imaging: Clinical Applications. AJR, 159: 591–599Google Scholar
- 4.Warach S, Chien D, Li W, Ronthal M, Edelman RR (1992) Fast magnetic resonance diffusion-weighted imaging of acute human stroke. Neurology, 42:1717–1. 723Google Scholar
- 6.Kwong KK, Belliveau JW, Chesler DA (1992) Dynamic magnetic resonance imaging of human brain activity during primary sensory stimulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA, 89: 5675–5679Google Scholar
- 9.Ogawa S, Tank DW, Menon RS, Ellerman JM, Kim SG, Merkle H, Ugurbil K (1992) Intrinsic signal changes accompanying sensory stimulation brain mapping with magnetic resonance imaging. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA, 89: 5951–5955Google Scholar
- 12.Le Bihan D, Turner R, Zeffiro A, Cuenod CA, Jezzard P, Bonnerot (1993) Activation of human primary visual cortex during visual recall: A magnetic resonance imaging study. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 90: 11802–11805Google Scholar
- 14.Hertz-Pannier L, Gaillard WD, Motts, Cuenod CA, Bookheimer S, Weinstein S, Conry J, Theodore WH, Le Bi-han D (1994) Preoperative assessment of language localization by fMRI in children with complex partial seizures: A preliminary study. Book of abstracts, Metting of the SMR, p 236Google Scholar
- 15.Cuenod CA, Chang MCJ, Arai T, Pannier L, Posse S, Despres D, Frank JA, Rapoport S, Le Bihan D (1993) Local brain response to cholinergic receptor stimulation detected by MRI. Book of abstracts, Meeting of the SMRM, p 1387Google Scholar