Assessment of Hemodynamic Function with Phase Contrast Flow Quantitation
Magnetic resonance (MR) techniques can reach beyond the morphologic assessment of the cardiovascular system by allowing direct quantitative characterization of flow dynamics. Reflecting the inherent motion sensitivity of the MR imaging experiment with regard to both amplitude and phase, two different MR techniques are available for flow measurements: one is based on the influence of motion on signal amplitude, and the other on the influence of motion on signal phase. They can be combined with various gating schemes to achieve excellent temporal resolution throughout the cardiac cycle [l]. Compared to Doppler ultrasound, both techniques are less operator dependent and do not require the presence of an appropriate acoustic window.
KeywordsMagn Reson Image Flow Mapping Magnetic Resonance Imaging Experiment Magnetic Resonance Flow Image Data Acquisition Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pelc NJ, Herfkens RJ, Shimakawa A, Enzmann DR (1991) Phase contrast tine magnetic resonance imaging. Magn Re-son Q 7: 229–254Google Scholar
- 2.Wehrli FW, Shimakawa A, Guliberg GT, MacFall JR (1986) Time-of-Flight MR Flow Imaging: Selective Saturation Recovery with Gradient Refocusing. Radiology 160: 781–785Google Scholar
- 5.Caro CG, Pediey TJ, Schroter RC, Seed WA (1978) The mechanics of the circulation. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Haacke EM, Smith AS, Lin W, Lewin JS, Finelli DA, Duerk JL (1991) Velocity Quantification In Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Topics in Magn Reson Imaging 3: 34–49Google Scholar
- 7.Pelc NJ, Bernstein M, Shimakawa A, Glover G (1991) Encoding Strategies for Three-Direction Phase Contrast MR Imaging of Flow. J Magn Reson Imaging: 405–413Google Scholar
- 8.Hausmann R, Lewin J, Laub G (1991) Phase Contrast MR Angiography with Reduced Acquisition Time: New Concepts in Sequence Design. J Magn Reson Imaging: 415–422Google Scholar
- 10.Debatin JF, Ting RH, Wegmuller H, Sommer FG, Fredrickson JO, Brosnan Ti, Bowman BS, Myers BD, Herfkens RJ, Pelc NJ (1994) Renal Artery Blood Flow: Quantitation with Phase-Contrast MR Imaging with and without Breath Holding. Radiology 190: 371–378Google Scholar
- 12.Debatin JF, Leung DA, Wildermuth S, Botnar R, Felblinger J, McKinnon GC (1996) Flow Quantitation with Echo Planar Phase Contrast Velocity Mapping: In Vitro and in Vivo Evaluation. J Magn Reson Imaging (in press)Google Scholar