Medical Treatment of Heart Failure: Problems in Dilated Cardiomyopathy
The management of dilated cardiomyopathy involves two distinct goals . One is to relieve symptoms and improve the quality of life of patients who suffer congestive heart failure as a consequence of a dilated, remodeled ventricle. The second, equally important, goal is to delay the progressive remodeling process which appears to eventuate in premature death. It is this latter goal that has been the subject of most recent large-scale trials on the management of heart failure.
KeywordsChronic Heart Failure Dilate Cardiomyopathy Brain Natriuretic Peptide Atrial Natriuretic Peptide Left Ventricular Remodel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Levine TB, Francis GS, Goldsmith SR, Simon A, Cohn JN (1982) Activity of the sympathetic nervous system and renin-angiotensin system assessed by plasma hormone levels and their relationship to hemodynamic abnormalities in congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 49:1659–1666PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Cohn JN, Archibald DG, Ziesche S, Franciosa JA, Harston WE, Tristani FE, Dunkman WB, Jacobs W, Francis GS, Flohr KH, Goldman S, Cobb FR, Shah PM, Saunders R, Fletcher RD, Loeb HS, Hughes VC, Baker B (1986) Effect of vasodilator therapy on mortality in chronic congestive hearth failure. Results of a Veterans Administration Cooperative Study (V-HeFT). N Engl J Med 314:1547–1552Google Scholar
- 12.McDonald KM, Carlyle PF, Matthews J, Hauer K, Elbers T, Hunter D, Cohn JN (1990) Early ventricular remodeling after myocardial damage and its attenuation by converting enzyme inhibition. Trans Assoc Amer Physicians 103:229–235Google Scholar
- 20.Packer M, Gheorghiade M, Young JB, Constantini PJ, Adams KF, Cody RJ, Smith LK, Van Voorhees L, Gourey LA, Jolly MK for the RADIANCE Study (1993) Withdrawal of digoxin from patients with chronic heart failure treated with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. N Engl J Med 329:1–7PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Rector TS, Tschumperlin LK, Kubo SH, Bank AJ, Francis GS, McDonald KM, Keeler CA, Silver MA (1995) Use of the Living with Heart Failure Questionnaire to ascertain patients’ perspectives on improvement in quality of life versus risk of drug-induced death. J Cardiol Failure 1:201–206CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.CIBIS Investigators and Committees (1994) A Randomized Trial of Beta-Blockade in Heart Failure. The Cardiac Insufficiency Bisoprolol Study (CIBIS). Circulation 90:1765–1773Google Scholar
- 25.Packer M, O’Connor CM, Ghali JK, Pressler ML, Carson PE, Belkin RN, Miller AB, Neuberg GW, Frid D, Wertheimer JH, Cropp AB, DeMets DL for the Prospective Randomized Amlodipine Survival Evaluation Study Group (1996) The effect of amlodipine on morbidity and mortality in severe chronic heart failure. N Engl J Med 335:1107–1114PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar