Vasovagal Syncope: To Pace or not to Pace?
Most patients with vasovagal syncope faint infrequently and require only reassurance and advice about dietary and lifestyle modifications. However, there is a minority of patients who are considerably more distressed. Patients with recurrent vasovagal syncope may seriously injure themselves, may not be able to drive a car or to perform their jobs, and have a significant drop in objectively measured quality of life .
KeywordsVasovagal Syncope Orthostatic Tolerance Tilt Table Test Neurocardiogenic Syncope Permanent Pace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rose S, Koshman M, McDonald S, Sheldon R (1996) Health-related quality of life in patients with neuromediated syncope. Can J Cardiol 12:13IE (abstr)Google Scholar
- 2.Sheldon RS (1995) What do we know today about the outcome of vasovagal syncope? In: Raviele A (ed) Cardiac Arrhythmias 1995. Springer, New York Berlin Heidelberg, pp 122–126Google Scholar
- 10.Giada F, Raviele A, Brignole M, Sutton R, Alboni P, Giani P, Menozzi C, Moya A (1999) Effect of etilefrine in preventing syncopal spells in patients with recurrent vasovagal syncope: a double-blind, randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 33:269AGoogle Scholar
- 11.Natale A, Beheiry S, Tomassoni GF, Leonelli FM, Pisano E, Fanelli R, Zimmerman L, Kim VH (1999) Randomized placebo control assessment of midodrine in the treatment of neurocardiogenic syncope. J Am Coll Cardiol 33:269AGoogle Scholar
- 14.Mahanonda N, Bhuripanyo K, Kangkagate C, Wansanit K, Kulchot B, Nademanee K, Chaithiraphan S (1995) Randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of oral atenolol in patients with unexplained syncope and positive upright tilt table test results. Am Heart J 130:1250–1253PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Derives LS, Fisch C, Griffin JC, Gillette PC, Mason JW, Parsonnet V (1991) Guidelines for implantation of cardiac pacemakers and antiarrhythmia devices. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Assessment of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures (Committee on Pacemaker Implantation). J Am Coll Cardiol 18:1–13CrossRefGoogle Scholar