What Are the Clinical Implications of MUSTT?
The Multicenter Unsustained Tachycardia Trial (MUSTT) findings have yet to be published. However, as a result of presentation of the preliminary results at two major cardiology meetings, the publication is much anticipated. Since it is unpublished, its true clinical impact has yet to be determined. However, based on the response to similar important trials in arrhythmia management, we can make reasonable projections of the potential clinical relevance of this trial.
KeywordsArrhythmic Death Ventricular Tachy Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial Arrhythmia Management European Myocardial Infarct Amiodarone Trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buxton AE, Fisher JD, Josephson ME, Lee KL, Pryor DB, Prystowsky EN, Simson MB, DiCarlo L, Echt DS, Packer D, Greer GS, Talajic M, the MUSTT Investigators (1993) Prevention of sudden death in patients with coronary artery disease: the multicenter unsustained tachycardia trial (MUSTT). Prog Cardiovasc Dis 6:215–226CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Moss AJ, Hall WJ, Cannom DS, Daubert JP, Higgins SL, Klein H, Levine JH, Saksena S, Waldo AL, Wilber D, Brown MW, Heo M, for the Multicenter Automatic Defìbriïlator Implantation Trial (MADIT) Investigators (1996) Improved survival with an implanted derìbrülator in patients with coronary disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmia. N Engl J Med 335:1933–1940PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Higgins SL, Voshage-Stahl L (1997) What have we learned from the US experience on the prophylactic use of ICDs following MADIT? In: Raviele A (ed) Cardiac Arrhythmias. Springer-Verlag, Milan, pp 270–275Google Scholar
- 8.Higgins S (1997) Will management of atrial arrhythmias be important in MADIT patients? In: Capucci A (ed) Atrial fibrillation, evolving concepts and new therapeutic strategies. BolognaGoogle Scholar
- 10.National Heart, Lung and Blood Institutes Communications (1997) NHLBI stops arrhythmia study-implantable cardiac defibrillators reduce deaths. NIH press release, April 14Google Scholar
- 17.Cairns JA, Connolly SJ, Roberts R, Gent M (1997) Randomised trial of outcome after myocardial infarction in patients with frequent or repetitive ventricular premature depolarisations: CAMIAT. Canadian Amiodarone Myocardial Infarction Arrhythmia Trial Investigators. Lancet 49:675–682Google Scholar
- 18.Julian DG, Camm AJ, Frangin G, Janse MJ, Munoz A, Schwartz PJ, Simon P (1997) Randomised trial of effect of amiodarone on mortality in patients with left-ventricular dysfunction after recent myocardial infarction: EMIAT. European Myocardial Infarct Amiodarone Trial Investigators. Lancet 49:667–674Google Scholar
- 19.Maloney JD (1989) Consequences of the Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial: calamity or clarity? Clev Clin J Med 56:649–653Google Scholar