Atrial Fibrillation in Heart Failure: Prognostic Significance and Management
Patients with congestive heart failure (CHF) have a poor prognosis and are at increased risk of dying suddenly or from progressive pump dysfunction. Atrial and ventricular arrhythmias commonly occur in patients with CHF and are a significant source of symptoms, morbidity, and mortality. Atrial fibrillation occurs in up to 9% of patients over the age of 80 and in 15%–X30% of patients with CHF . The prevalence of atrial fibrillation increases with progression of NYHA heart failure class from less than 10% in NYHA class I to almost 50% in NYHA class IV CHF .
KeywordsAtrial Fibrillation Sinus Rhythm Congestive Heart Failure Patient Maintain Sinus Rhythm Atrial Fibrilla
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Dries DL, Exner DV, Gersh BJ et al (1998) Atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk for mortality and heart failure progression in patients with asymptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction: a retrospective analysis of the SOLVD trials. J Am Coll Cardiol 32:695–703.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Roy D, for the AF-CHF Trial Investigators (2002) The Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure Trial (abstract). Europace 3:A–11Google Scholar
- 16.Fuster V, Rydén LE, Asinger RW, Cannom DS et al (2001) ACC/AH A/ESC guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines and Policy Conferences. (Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation). J Am Coll Cardiol 38:1231–1265PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Deedwania PC, Singh BN, Ellenbogen K et al, for the Department of Veterans Affairs CHF-STAT Investigators (1998) Spontaneous conversion and maintenance of sinus rhythm by amiodarone in patients with heart failure and atrial fibrillation. Observation for the veterans affairs congestive heart failure survival trial of antiarrhythmic therapy (CHF-STAT). Circulation 98:2574–2579PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Pederson OD, Bagger H, Keller N et al, for the Danish Investigations of Arrhythmia and Mortality ON Dofetilide Study Group (2001) Efficacy of dofetilide in the treatment of atrial fibrillation-flutter in patients with reduced left ventricular function: a Danish Investigations of Arrhythmia and Mortality ON Dofetilide (DIAMOND) sub-study. Circulation 104:292–296CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Madrid AH, Bueno MG, Rebollo JMG et al (2002) Use of irbesartan to maintain sinus rhythm in patients with long-lasting persistent atrial fibrillation. A prospective and randomized study. Circulation 106:331–336Google Scholar