A Space Test of General Relativity
In this paper we describe a test in space of general relativity and gravitational physics: the measurement of this effect, obtained in 1995–98, using two laser-ranged satellites. We first briefly present the gravitomagnetic field and the Lense-Thirring effect in general relativity. We then review the method proposed to measure this effect by analyzing the orbits of the two laser-ranged satellites LAGEOS and LAGEOS II, and we report on the corresponding measurement of the Lense-Thirring effect by analyzing the data of LAGEOS and LAGEOS II with the orbital programs GEODYN-SOLVE, using the Earth gravitational models JGM-3 and EGM-96 and our method. The first result was obtained in 1995, and the most accurate measurements were obtained in 1998 using EGM-96, with an estimated uncertainty of about 20%–30%.
KeywordsTest Particle Inertial Frame Semi Major Axis International Earth Rotation Service Node Residual
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Misner C.W., Thorne K.S., Wheeler J.A. (1973): Gravitation. Freeman, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- 4.Thorne K.S., Price R.H., MacDonald D.A., eds. (1986): Black Holes, the Membrane Paradigm. Yale University Press, New HavenGoogle Scholar
- 7.Bender P., Goad C.C. (1979): The use of satellites for geodesy and geodynamics, in Proc. Second International Symposium on the Use of Artificial Satellites for Geodesy and Geodynamics., ed. by G. Veis, E. Livieratos, Vol. II, National Technical University of Athens, p. 145Google Scholar
- 9.Degnan J.J., Pavlis E.C. (1994): GPS World 5, 62Google Scholar
- 10.International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) (1997): Annual Report, 1996, Observatoire de Paris, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 11.McCarthy D. (1996): The 1996 IERS Conventions. Observatoire de Paris, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lemoine F.G., Pavlis N.K., Cox CM. et al. (1997): Gravity Field Improvement Activities at NASA GSFC, in Proc. of the 1997 Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics Scientific Assembly, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, September 5–9, 1997 Google Scholar
- 13.Rubincam D.P. (1988): J. Geophys. Res. B 93(11), 13803Google Scholar
- 19.Pavlis D.E. et al. (1997): GEODYN II, Operations Manual, 3Google Scholar
- 25.Eanes R., Ries J. (1998): private communicationGoogle Scholar